Aquarium grass?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kyazh

AC Members
Feb 28, 2006
Glendale, Ca
I was browsing through some pictures and saw what seemed to be grass on the bottom of an aquarium. I thought it was cool because it looked really nice and no more gravel vacums because all the waste would go to the bottom and the plant would use it like fertilzer, right? Does anyone know what this plant is called? I realy want some for my tank. Im guessing I would need more lighting too because the plant is on the bottom of the tank. Thanks for any help!

kyazh

AC Members
Feb 28, 2006
Glendale, Ca
alright, thanks! Would I need anything special to plant these things on? I mean im pretty sure I cant just toss them on the glass lol.

(BTW that webcam is awesome! )

Gomisan

Man in a hat
You may like to do a bit of reading about planted tanks, and substrates. My tank has reasonably coarse gravel in it, and I certainly wouldn't recomend it for plant keeping.

probably some kind of sand bottom would be best, but I'm new to this too, and just learning myself. I've actually kept most of the plants in the little tubs they came in, until I have something better to plant them in.

These forums are pretty helpful, but if you want plant specific info, I really like this site:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/
and their forums, just on plants, with articles and forum areas for beginers like us.

(thanks by the way for checking out the cam!)

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
i have dwarf hairgrass in my tank. i have about an inch and a half of play sand left over from my hermit crabs. it comes in a big clump and it took me an hour and a half to sepparate each of about 100 tiny plants and push them into the substrait with a pair of tweezers. i have about 2.75 wpg and no CO2 so it is growing rather slow (by my standards. all my other plants grow visibly overnight) but it will eventually fill in and form a nice lawn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store