Can an anemone go in this tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

adamfs12

AC Members
Apr 17, 2005
I just saw a used 10 gallon w/ stand, hang on skimmer, and 80 watt power compact at the lfs for $140. Can an LT anenome or a bta be kept in there, after the tank has matured for a couple months. I'd stock it w/ a pair of ocellaris clowns, a couple of sexy anemone shrimp, and some turbo snails. I'd go with about 7 lbs. of live rock and 2 inch deep live sand bed.
Does this sound like a reasonable setup?

the3kgt2

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
a 10 gallon reef tank is extremely difficult. nano tanks are usually good for experts that want to try something challenging. $140 doesnt sound like too good of a deal either.

you're probably used to the leniant freshwater setups. there's less room for error in the smaller saltwater tanks. i had a 10 gallon fish-only and i failed. moved on to a 46g

It'll be hard, but not impossible.

Crown Royal

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Nano tanks are always risky and higher maintenance.

An anemone in a nano tank is even riskier because if it goes wandering, it's not too difficult for the anemone to find its way onto a powerhead/filter intake and be ripped to shreds.

You won't be able to get very many benefits of de-nitrification from a 2-inch deep sand bed in a 10-gallon tank. DSBs require more depth and surface area to really kick in. That said, if you keep your bioload light (e.g. no anemone carcasses floating about), you won't need a DSB with live rock and regular water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store