Aqurium safe all pupose glue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JoeRags3

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Millstone Township, NJ
Does anyone know of an all purpose glue that can be submerged in water other than silicone? I need to glue river rocks to a peice of styrofoam for a waterfall efect for my vivarium project and I would need a lot of silicone and it wouldnt be cost effective. Would Gorilla Glue or Elmers Ulitmate glue be ok to use? I will be posting picture of my vivarium proect once everything is put together.

Thanks
Joe

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
AFAIK Gorilla glue is safe. Cyanoacrylate glues are safe, I use Loc-Tite gel superglue in my SW tanks all the time. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether either type of glue would react with polystyrene/styrofoam and release a toxin.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
AFAIK hot glue should be fine as far as toxicity goes, but I don't think its going to hold weight long-term. It doesn't really bond that well to low porosity material.

I glued an awful lot of rocks together for about $7 or $8 using two tubes of Aquarium Silicone from Lowe's. I'd stick with the silicone… you don't have to buy it at the LFS.

Aussie_hippie_2

AC Members
Sep 17, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.myspace.com
I know this is a pretty dead bulletin but still. Could I just use normal hot glue to glue rocks, wood etc. together in a tank?

Aussie_hippie_2

AC Members
Sep 17, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.myspace.com
OK, can that idea. But what cheap adhesive could I use to stick rocks and maybe some driftwood together for caves?

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
Last edited:

JoeRags3

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Millstone Township, NJ
Silicone... you can buy a tube from home Depot or Lowes for relatively cheap. Just make sure it 100% silicone, and dont put in your water until its entirely dry and no longer has a vinager smell.

Aussie_hippie_2

AC Members
Sep 17, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.myspace.com
Cheers guys

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store