Aquarium light....on or off?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nishijb

AC Members
Jan 5, 2006
Is it best to keep the aquarium light on during the night or best to turn it off?

thefirethief

AC Members
Feb 15, 2006
Scotland
Hope no-one minds me asking questions in this thread, but it seems relevant, so.....

Anyone know how moonlights affect the night cycle?

thanks!
Mark

dabxchef

ODD LOVER OF ODDITIES
Dec 11, 2005
BRONX N.Y.
thefirethief said:
Hope no-one minds me asking questions in this thread, but it seems relevant, so.....

Anyone know how moonlights affect the night cycle?

thanks!
Mark
To my knowledge moonlight is only usefull in marine-reef set ups. the moon light is not necessary but is beneficial to growth of certain corals and anemones.
I would assume that certain plants are affected also but that is only a an assumption and you know what assumptions make you and me!!! :joke: :cool2:
P.S. it is useful for watching nocturnal activities of your fish fresh or salt. A lot of the fish we keep in this hobby are in fact nocturnal espeacially the predatory ones!
Also some fish just don't like bright light like knife fish and certain catfish !!! Because of your question I just talked myself into purchasing a moon light system!!! thanx Mark!!!!

Last edited:

thefirethief

AC Members
Feb 15, 2006
Scotland
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Im only buying one to watch some of my shrimp that I only seem to catch a glimpse of when I switch the room light on late at night. Wasn't sure if a moonlight would stop them coming out or not.

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
your fish should have a day and night cycle, but it doesn't matter when it is, so long as it is the same time every day. you could have the light off all day and keep it on at night, or whatever, so long as you turn it on and off at the same time every day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store