Tankmates and Bolivian Ram Feeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EcoPit

AC Members
Nov 30, 2005
Lake County, IL
I have two Bolivian rams in quarantine with four dwarf neon rainbowfish. The rams were the first to start eating, but now the rainbows are settled in and eat most of the food before it gets down to the bottom for the rams to notice. I am concerned that in the 55 gal the rams will have trouble. Will they come out/up when I feed? Do I need to put food directly in front of them?

SKAPSYCHO

Skafunkrastapunk! Senior Member
Apr 14, 1999
Collegeville, MN
Hello,
I recently purchased a Bolivian ram for my 30 gallon community tank, although I have a friend who had several of them for a few years in a 55. He kept them with tiger barbs (extremely fast and greedy fish) and they were always healthy even though it seemed like they never ate. If you are worried about them getting food, you can get some sinking pellets and feed after putting flakes or flaoting food in to distract your other fish. Good luck!
~Skap

Cathy G

Bolivians Rock
Jan 15, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.cathygeier.com
Hi,
You could also use a turkey paster and squirt some of the food past the tetras. I have the same problem and at least at this point, my bolivians won't charge up to get the food. They just prefer to do without I guess. Distract the top feeders and squirt in the stuff for the rams.
Cathy

mduros

AC Members
Sep 20, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
www.maryduros.com
EcoPit said:
I have two Bolivian rams in quarantine with four dwarf neon rainbowfish. The rams were the first to start eating, but now the rainbows are settled in and eat most of the food before it gets down to the bottom for the rams to notice. I am concerned that in the 55 gal the rams will have trouble. Will they come out/up when I feed? Do I need to put food directly in front of them?
When I throw spirulina wafers in for the bottom feeders, I break up a couple and my ram just loves hogging the pieces he can find. He'll swim around with a piece of the wafer in his mouth for 20 minutes eating it... :)
Take care,
Mary.

EcoPit

AC Members
Nov 30, 2005
Lake County, IL
I was thinking I might have to try the turkey baster, but that would be tough with the stupid canopy I have on my tank. I guess I will try the sinking pellets and see if they take them. Thanks everyone.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I use sinking pellets for my rams..they love them..tho occassionally they swim to the top..with the keyholes and angels.

Merman

AC Members
Mar 24, 2003
pennsylvania
SKAPSYCHO said:
...you can get some sinking pellets and feed after putting flakes or floating food in to distract your other fish.
This has worked for me as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store