Water Change, Fish Now Dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tinytnt

Dynamite comes in small packages
Aug 11, 2005
Lewisville, Texas
HELP!! Yesterday morning, I did my normal 30% water change, and suddenly my fish are dying!! Yesterday evening I lost 1 upsidedown catfish and my black molly. Today when I get home from work, two more are dead... my other upsidedown catfish and a single molly fry (about a month old, in floating breeder.)

What the heck's going on?!? I didn't even change that much water!! Checked ph and nitrate parameters, everything's fine. So WHY are they dying?!?

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
Please give numbers for nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia.

Did you remember to add water conditioner?

naps

AC Members
Jan 1, 2006
Houston, TX
tinytnt said:
HELP!! Yesterday morning, I did my normal 30% water change, and suddenly my fish are dying!! Yesterday evening I lost 1 upsidedown catfish and my black molly. Today when I get home from work, two more are dead... my other upsidedown catfish and a single molly fry (about a month old, in floating breeder.)

What the heck's going on?!? I didn't even change that much water!! Checked ph and nitrate parameters, everything's fine. So WHY are they dying?!?
Did you check ammonia and nitrite?? We need to see all of your test results and tank specs to help. What did you use to dechlorinate/condition the water?? Help us help you...;)

tinytnt

Aug 11, 2005
Lewisville, Texas
I use API Stress Coat "fish and tap water conditioner." I don't know all about the chemicals and stuff, but my ph tested 7.4 and ammonia nh3/nh4 was between 0 and 0.25. That's what it always is, and always has been, with exception of when I first cycled a year ago. I just noticed that the temp is up a bit cuz it's been so hot here... normally keep it between 77 and 79, it's at 81. Tank specs are in my signature. Thanks. :)

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
Is it possible you got some sort of a contaminant in the tank? Maybe hand lotion or soap on your hands? Glass cleaner, anything? I would do another massive water change, like 80%, and do it again tomorrow.

All you parameters are good, so it doesn't seem like a water quality issue, but that is a lot of death in a short amount of time.

Keep us posted.

naps

AC Members
Jan 1, 2006
Houston, TX
budrecki said:
Is it possible you got some sort of a contaminant in the tank? Maybe hand lotion or soap on your hands? Glass cleaner, anything? I would do another massive water change, like 80%, and do it again tomorrow.

All you parameters are good, so it doesn't seem like a water quality issue, but that is a lot of death in a short amount of time.

Keep us posted.
That's what it sounds like to me too. If you don't see anything on the fish that shows disease and your water tests fine some contamination might be the cause. Try another water change.

tinytnt

Aug 11, 2005
Lewisville, Texas
OMG. I know what the deal is... BF just got home, and I was talking to him about it, and mentioned the contaminates thing... I was just informed that Saturday he used my water bucket as a MOP bucket for the bathroom. So I guess it's PINE SOL. GREAT. 80% water changes then?

naps

AC Members
Jan 1, 2006
Houston, TX
tinytnt said:
OMG. I know what the deal is... BF just got home, and I was talking to him about it, and mentioned the contaminates thing... I was just informed that Saturday he used my water bucket as a MOP bucket for the bathroom. So I guess it's PINE SOL. GREAT. 80% water changes then?
Whoa :thud: !!! yep that's the cause fo' sure!! Best of luck with everything and keep us posted!!!
Yeah water changes to get any of that soap out ASAP (larger the better and the sooner the better too), and please make sure to use a new water bucket. After a bit you will need to change filter media too, but be careful not to do it with the large water change so you don't lose too much bacteria. Hope that helps a bit. And again good luck!!

Last edited:

lucas68

Registered Fish User
Jan 4, 2006
Newark, DE
I wish I was close by to offer a quick home for your fish while you clean out the tank.

My Dad did something similar to me when I was young, he cleaned the algae off the inside of the tank with a soapy sponge. Luckily, my friend down the street had a tank so I could save a few fish.

I wish you the best of luck with saving your fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store