Get The Best Quailty From Digital Images

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
This is about saving your digital pics in "Raw Format" not "Jpeg".
I have never done this, but with the article in Shutterbug magazine (April 2006) I'm going to 'learn' how to do it.

The article is not too technical as to confuse, but gives an excellent explaination
on how to 'get the most' from your digital camera.
The article is the best explaination of Raw Format I have seen.

Until now, I always avoided "Raw Format" since I thought it was too
complex and maybe not worth the effort.

You might want to get a copy soon. Its only $4 or $5.... (Shutterbug magazine)
Adobe Photoshop Elements is worth the price too.

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
What about differences in file size? Is "raw" format closer to TIFF? I know TIFF files can be gargantuan.

Peace...

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
tomdkat said:
What about differences in file size?
Peace...
They are much larger than Jpeg. But, I think its worth giving Raw a shot. :D

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
125gJoe said:
They are much larger than Jpeg. But, I think its worth giving Raw a shot. :D
Just as long as people realize they should not e-mail images in RAW format.... :)

Peace...

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Huge photos should not be e-mailed as well as Raw Format images.
I think Raw Format is for adjusting the photo.

Anyway, I hope some will benefit from the article.

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
Most low-end or amateur level digital cameras will save the pictures on JPEG, and will not give you a choice. This is done because the average costumer will not note the difference beetween JPEG and RAW formart (specially those who keep and watch their pictures on the computer). Also, the (average)costumer would not be impressed with a camera that allows you to keep 24 RAW pictures against a -let's say- 400 JPEG compressed pics in a single SD card, that will look exactly the same for him.

Keeping RAW formarts will be good if you are using your pics for large size printings, or you are a picture professional.

Keep in mind that, today, a 3.1 MP comercial camera can produce 11x17 printouts with great detail, and most people print theirs at 4X6 inches.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Hey, I just read that article :)

I'll shoot raw if I'm purposefully taking a good "photograph" instead of just random candid shots (which is what I mostly do). The really nice part of RAW is that you do all the editing and adjusting rather than the camera performing it automatically.

As far as saving files goes, for all the talk people do about JPEG being a bad format to save in, its not that bad. JPEGs throw away redundant information upon saving to compress file size. The reality is, 99% of the popularion couldn't tell the difference between a RAW photo file and a JPEG with a gun to their heads. You just don't lose that much. RAW format is so flippin' big that most people just can't practically save all their images in that form.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store