Help! Goldfish with black dots!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bonybutt

Registered Member
Apr 5, 2006
I bought this fancy goldfish about 2 months ago. It is 2 years old. My tank is a 35 gallon, about 3 months running. I have 3 other fancy goldfish in with this one. All levels check out fine and temp is at 72 degrees.

About 1.5 months ago, she developed a few black 'smudges' on her body and some black lines on her fins. She now is covered with them and I need to know what it is. She is acting fine, eating fine, no other obvious problem and no other fish in the tank have these smudges.

I did some research and all I could come up with is either Black Dot or Myxobacteriosis. It doesn't look like black dot since it isn't little black specks on her body, looks more like Myxobacteriosis. The only cure I could find for that was Phenocide by Aquatronics but I can't find that anywhere, either online or in local pet stores.

Please help! I'm afraid I'm going to eventually lose her and I want to do all I can to help her.

Here's a pic:

NotGumbel

The Dude
Nov 5, 2004
Elkins, WV USA
Is it a spot, or a colored scale? I'm only asking because my goldfish have either gained or lost spots/streaks in their coloration over time.

bonybutt

Registered Member
Apr 5, 2006
Thanks for your reply..

They are smudges not streaks. She now has tons more all over her body. Has anyone ever heard of Phenocide by Aquatronics? It's a medicine that is suggested for this disease and I can't find it anywhere!!

NotGumbel

The Dude
Nov 5, 2004
Elkins, WV USA
I found the web site for the product, now called Black Spot Control, at http://www.aquatronicsonline.com/product/product1.htm.

The site also lists distributors etc, and they may be able to assist you in both making sure this is the right product and locating a retailer near you.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store