need help picking plants.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

monkey_toes

"Maybe it's a hybrid"
Feb 7, 2006
Southwest Florida
Though I've not actually been there, it's my understanding that there is very little true aquatic vegetation in the blackwater areas. The combination of high concentrations of tannins and the very low pH (interrelated) result in an inhospitable environment for underwater plants. The banks would be quite grown over, though — probably with multiple species of Echinodorus (swordplant). If I were doing a blackwater tank, I'd try Eleocharis (hairgrass), Myriophyllum (foxtail), Heteranthera, or Cabomba. And of course whatever Echinodorus seem appropriate to the size of the tank. I'd also try to keep the pH from going below 5.8 or so, and make sure to have enough light to compensate for the reduced transmission caused by the water's tint.

wannabefishguru

learning to be the best
well its not really on the black water, but more like oxbory lake is where most of the vegetation is so i have been lookin and just cant find a wide variety that i can choose from. tried that mongabay website but they list species of plants found in the blackwater from south am. and also others too.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice