I have to euthanize

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
some of you might have read my previous thread about Arised

he's been on penecilin for 48 hours now and his fins are still deteriorating and he appetite is almost gone this morning he gets his nose right up to his food but doesn't seem to have the strength to eat

I want him to recover but i think this thing is stronger than he is even with the penicilin.

I've never had to euthanize before- i don't know what i should get or if there are different measures for laborinth fish as Arised is a betta.

I've read about a hundred different ways and can't find a consensus or distinguish between the people who don't know what thet're talking about.

so I'm looking for responses from the veterans here. how should i end his suffering. . . tears.

-Kyle

Last edited:

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
This is always a difficult decision for any caring aquarist. Given that he is small, I think the best way would be to put him and some of his tank water in a small tupperware or similar container with a lid and place in the freezer. He will essentially die of the fish version of hypothermia - although there is some debate, this method is generally considered a humane way to euthanize a fish. A variation is the cold shock method, where the fish is placed in water that is very near freezing. The use of clove oil is another method - here is a link - http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/misc/cloveoil.html. There is a lot of contraversy regarding the euthanization issue, because we all want to be as humane as possible.

Last edited:

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
I've heard so many testimonies that this is not a painless expirience for fish that i'd prefer not to do it-

i'd like to know more about clove oil and whether it only anesthitizes(sp?)

or if it makes a difference that Arised can breath atmospheric air and will therefore suffer longer from any addative to the water.

LunchBox

Me fail english? that's unpossible!
Feb 7, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
sorry to hear about this. I'd bee nreading the posts leading up to it, but it sounded like you had a good solution coming. sorry it didn't work well :(

check the articles forum. there is one on euthanising fish that has a bit about using clove oil. from what Iv'e read that may be the most humane.

I have done the freezer bit, and from what I've read/seen the cold slows the fish down (like hypothermia), and numbs them, and eventually it slows them to a stop. I have no idea if it's less painless than clove oil, but I know the fish I had to do it to only took 5 minutes to be gone (of course you leave thme in longer to make sure they are gone before disposing of remains)

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
kyle3 said:
I've heard so many testimonies that this is not a painless expirience for fish that i'd prefer not to do it-

i'd like to know more about clove oil and whether it only anesthitizes(sp?)

or if it makes a difference that Arised can breath atmospheric air and will therefore suffer longer from any addative to the water.
I suggested the freezing method because bettas are anabantoids - I have also use the "alka-seltzer" method for other fish, but, again, this may be less effective/slower because he is an anabantoid. I have done searches on euthanizing bettas, and the three that come up most are clove oil, freezing and blunt trauma. Keep in mind that most of the "testimonies" are non-scientific opinions. There are no easy answers - immediate blunt trauma is another option, but potentially messy and disturbing for some - yet, effective, particularly for a small fish. I didn't mention this option in my first post because it seemed that you might not prefer that route from the nature of your initial posting. In the end, you will have to decide what is best - limited discomfort of any method of euthanization or ongoing suffering for your fish by doing nothing. I wish you luck - we already know you are a caring aquarist by the nature of your posts - thanks for being such!

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
can anyone else weigh in?

I'm thinking clove oil is the way to go but i'd like some definative recomendations that this is the best way for bettas as well as nonanabantoids

Last edited:

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
What exactly is wrong with the fish?

Its listless and its fins are deteriorating? You've had it on penicillin for two days ? Why? Has there been any effect?

Parameters?

I have no idea what's wrong with your fish (from either this thread or the one about your office manager) but euthanasia sounds a little hasty.

justintoxicated

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
That sucks man, why not just run him over with your car that should put him out quickly.

DirkW

7 Kids, 4 Tanks, 2 Birds
Oct 28, 2005
Southeastern Virginia
kyle3 said:
can anyone else weigh in?

I'm thinking clove oil is the way to go but i'd like some definative recomendations that this is the best way for bettas as well as nonanabantoids
I've never actually done it myself, but I read about someone euthanizing by putting the fish in very cold water before freezing. He claimed the end was quick with little struggle.

LunchBox

Me fail english? that's unpossible!
Feb 7, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
DirkW said:
I've never actually done it myself, but I read about someone euthanizing by putting the fish in very cold water before freezing. He claimed the end was quick with little struggle.
that might have been me. a couple months ago I had to do it and basically took some real cold water hoping to numb it a bit and then stuck him in the freezer... was gone in less than 5 minutes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store