Can I mate a Crowntail Betta with a different type of Betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yuCci

AC Members
Mar 13, 2006
I was wondering if it’s possible to mate different types of Betta? Like for example, a Crowntail with a Veiltail or Half-Moon? and if it was possible, is it harder than mating two of the same type or is it the same difficulty? And if they did mate, what will the fry be? Will it be a Crowntailed, like their father, or Veiltailed, like their mother?

Guys, I'm not trying to experiment. I'm just trying to breed bettas and these were the only pair I could get (crown and half-moon).

Thanks ;)

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
its POSSIBLE to mate two of any kind of betta, its just hard to know what the fry are going to look like.

yuCci

AC Members
Mar 13, 2006
what do you mean its hard to know what the fry are going to look like? do you mean that it was never done before? Or is it just always difficult to know what the fry are going to look like??

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
well, you have to understand genetics. you have to know that the females genes are usually dominant, that Veil Tail is the most common and dominant. there are so many variations of bettas that you could get some crowns, some half moons, some half moon crowns, etc. etc.

if you breed a female VT with almost any other kind of male, your probably going to get most, if not all VT. ask MightyQueenPixy. she's the resident betta breeding expert.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store