Vivarium Project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JoeRags3

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Millstone Township, NJ
I've been wanting to set up a new tank for a while now, and didnt know what to do until I read a thread on here about Fire-belly Newts and fell in love with those little guys! After doing some research and some advice from Emg, I started putting together my new tank!

Styrofoam was used to make a river and waterfall effect using silicone and Spectra Stone Shallow Creek. Cave was made out of stacking stones found at petco in the reptile department and glue with silicone. The ledge was made out of an old cracked 5 gal hex acrylic tank and the sides were perfect for this project, and is supported by 1/2 in plexi-glass dowls siliconed in place. Filter is an Whisper 10i Internal and works PERFECT for the river and waterfall, and a Whisper 10 air pump with air stone beneath the gravel. Tank substrate is Specrta Stone Shallow Creek Pebble. I'm still waiting for an order of Eco-Complete Substrate for the Land portion of the tank which will house some live plants.

I will be putting 4 White Clouds, and 2 Chinese Firebellied Newts (maybe later on 2 or 3 Ghost Shrimp).

Joe

04cobratorchred

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
Thats a very nice set up you have there Joe. Looks like you put a lot of time into it and you can really tell. It looks great. Have you found the FBN's yet? I had a really hard time finding a pet store that had some i finally talked one store into ordering me some.

JoeRags3

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Millstone Township, NJ
No Led the plant is not real, infact none are. I'm still new the hobby and I dont know if I feel experianced enough to tackle live plants yet... maybe in the future.

Thank you for the compliments Cobra, I've been working on this and researching for maybe 2 months now. I have found a LFS that will order them for me no problem, They were the first one I tried and I guess I got lucky with them. They are pretty knowledgable better than Petsmart or Petco. And it helps to know the reputation at this place sisnce my best friend used to work there.

minnesotagal866

AC Members
May 30, 2005
great looking set=up!! Mine is a little more boring, no waterfall. I have a 20G long that I just built up one side with river rock, a pagoda rock on each side, and live plants throughout the middle. Someday when my camera is working I truly will post a pic, right now I have too much on my plate to deal with the camera (selling house, going back to grad school, moving across the country. . .).

Just for your information, the first time I put white clouds in with my CFN's two mysteriously disappeared . . . The second time it was fine but I thought the white clouds were a little cramped (10G with 4G or so of water) so I moved them. On the other hand, I had a hitchhiker molly fry in the tank for weeks and they ignored it. So you never know. I would like to eventually redo the tank with more water and try white clouds again and maybe shrimp or clams. I also keep a FBT in there which is not recommended but I have had zero problems, my toad is extremely meek and lazy! There are also a few snails and they are ignored as well.

Just a heads up for you to watch the interaction between the two species. Sounds great and I wish I was setting up another tank!

jackie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store