Help, I Bought A Sick Clown!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laurabolyard

AC Members
Mar 2, 2006
I broke my own rule about seeing a fish eat before buying. I would have avoided all of this because he hasnt eaten a bite since I bought him about 10 days ago. He is in QT, I added several doses of stress coat. LFS suggested melafix. Fish hasnt shown any signs of improvement. SYMPTOMS: not interested in food, anal white string hangs down, occasional white bump on bottom lip, now one on side. LFS first said stress/bacteria, I suspected internal parasites. LFS now says possible amonia burn or cycnide poisoning. Noe I am really upset, saleskid had said that it was not live caught, now I am told that they dont know. ANY HELP on possible illness, possible treatment would be appreciated. I am probably running out of time. Thanks

quenton

Dennis Smith
Feb 5, 2006
Toronto Ontario
Would help if you could post a picture -- if you have a digital camera.

Clown?? what kind -- clown loach?? If so, they tend to be a bit touchy.

Sounds like it could be bacterial, fungal, parasite -- not enough info to decide.
If not white spots, then not ich or velvet, so we are left with other kinds of parasite
or bacterial or fungal as I said. I don't believe the amonia burn or cyanide.

You could try salt -- 2tsp per gallon -- should not affect anything else.
You could add with that an antibiotic (e.g. marycin). You code also add
a fungacide. I would certainly start with the salt, its simple and does not usually
have a nasty effect on other things.

You should probably be concerned about anythin else you have in the same tank, if anything, a clown loach is likely to show signs or problems before anything else.

laurabolyard

AC Members
Mar 2, 2006
I should have mentioned: a true percula. her color is good,, fins are good. she is in QT. Bit of a breathing struggle.

laurabolyard

AC Members
Mar 2, 2006
I notice a reddish/brown spot where the white bump WAS on her lower lip. She seems to be struggling less to swim today, less frantic, though maybe just exhausted.

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
could be broolynella though it usually takes them quicker. Is she swimming around alot or just staying in one spot?

laurabolyard

AC Members
Mar 2, 2006
mostly staying in one spot. color and skin/fins look good. that white bump that became a brown/red spot looks more like a wound now. I have done soooo mch research and I cannot find what might be wrong with her. Any ideas?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store