ghost shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hitz2b

AC Members
Mar 8, 2003
Lincoln, Nebraska
Visit site
What do ghost shrimp eat? Will they get along with neon tetras and yellow twinbar platies and a pleco in the same tank? Are they worth purchasing? Thanks.

spikekillifish

AC Members
Feb 26, 2003
Naples FL.
www.millevolte.com
Hikari tropical alqae wafers. I have a maternity ward full of these guys. Lots of babies floatin around. I catch em by loads from the canal in my back yard. The fish you have should be fine. Mine eat em like crazy.

Last edited:

Molino

Alien or ugly Fish?
Oct 1, 2002
Alberta, Canada
members.shaw.ca
Mine really liked flake food. When they realized it was feeding time they would get excited and start swimming all around the tank looking for food.

They were also fun to watch when on the run from my hungry convicts. They can move suprisingly fast when they need to. :D

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
Originally posted by Skittyfish
I think they are really neat, I paid 20 cents for mine, unfortunately he only lasted 3 days, I found his remains this morning, looked as if someone else had been snacking on it.
skittyfish, don't be shocked if your ghost shrimp turns up, these guys shed their exoskeleton often and then spen the next few days hiding because they are more vulnerable.

ghost shrimp are pretty neat creatures. and at ~20 cents a peice they are worth the experiment. there are other kinds of shrimp if the ghost shrimp passes the test (read: survive). bamboo shrimp and others are larger than the ghost shrimp and have more colors. they are also much more expensive but the maintanence they perform is beyond worth.

the shrimp I keep are true scavengers. they only eat leftover food and algae as I RARELY introduce food for them exclusively.

nvision

what the heck is a pl*co?
Dec 11, 2002
Sunnyvale, CA
jau.smugmug.com
my shrimps feed on any dry fish food that i throw into the tank. they are very fun to watch, especially when they climb up the water surface to compete with the fish during feeding time.

they get along well with tetras, but i don't think they'll last too long with more aggressive and territorial types such as cichlids.

Ray-Ray

< < < < < >
Mar 5, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
They love plants and will eat just about any kind of food you put in there. I feed my ray ghst shrimp about 8 dozen a week, but not all at once I put them in a holding tank, temp 79, ph around 7, the best thing about these shrimp there cheap!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store