Cuttlefish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sushi

Sushi
Jul 27, 2005
tucson, phoenix
My roommate and I are planning on starting an 80 gallon salt aquarium this august, and we are planning on first buying a few cheap common marine fish to cycle the water, and get the chemical levels correct. After we do this for at least a month, we want to buy a cuttlefish.

I've heard that for the most part, they are the only organism that can be housed in the aquarium, other than anemones, hermit crabs, etc. And yes, I know they are expensive. But I'm looking for any thoughts, ideas, tips, concerns, as well as possible suppliers and price ranges that anyone might know of. I've always wanted one, and I'm willing to do the work to do it right, and keep it healthy.

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Dont bother using fish to cycle the aquarium, you can use the pure ammonia method or use the raw shrimp method to cycle the aquarium, and get much better results.

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
Better than that just get some good live rock and let it cycle naturally...

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Raw shrimp will work better than live rock, cause cured live rock won't cycle a tank. I think an 80 is kinda on the small side for a Cuttlefish. If I remember correctly they are rather difficult to feed too so you may have quite a few challenges on your hand. Definetely like their close cousins the Octos in not being beginner marine fish. Don't know where you will find some (they might even be protected not sure though) but try googling it and see what comes up! Hope this helps and good luck!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Cuttlefish can be purchased--they are aquacultured and available for sale. Contact your LFS--if they are good, they will be able to bring one in. No clue on the pricing, but I would guess it to be somewhere in the $80-200 range, depending on the species.

There are several kinds. Some get too large, others stay within the 8-12 inch range, so an 80 would be okay for one. You may want to consider blacking out the bottom portion of the tank--not great for viewing, but prevents the cuttle from crashing into the glass. They are best fed live foods--crabs and small shrimp, ideally, though small marine fish will work. Training them on to frozen foods is a challenge, but can be done. You will NOT want to give it any sort of FW feeder--ghost shrimp are about the only alternative.

MSL is right about them being similar to octopus, and not really for the beginner. They are very cool though--intelligent, and masters of color changes.

parrotfish100

AC Members
Feb 22, 2004
California
Also be VERY careful about water quality. Keep it steady! The store I used to work at lost 2 cuttlefish when an inexperienced employee changed their water.

Cuttlefish are one of my favorite organisms. Good luck!!!

Sushi

Sushi
Jul 27, 2005
tucson, phoenix
OrionGirl said:
Cuttlefish can be purchased--they are aquacultured and available for sale. Contact your LFS--if they are good, they will be able to bring one in. No clue on the pricing, but I would guess it to be somewhere in the $80-200 range, depending on the species.

There are several kinds. Some get too large, others stay within the 8-12 inch range, so an 80 would be okay for one. You may want to consider blacking out the bottom portion of the tank--not great for viewing, but prevents the cuttle from crashing into the glass. They are best fed live foods--crabs and small shrimp, ideally, though small marine fish will work. Training them on to frozen foods is a challenge, but can be done. You will NOT want to give it any sort of FW feeder--ghost shrimp are about the only alternative.

MSL is right about them being similar to octopus, and not really for the beginner. They are very cool though--intelligent, and masters of color changes.
I've been doing a lot of research on them lately, and I've found a few similar facts. But the info on painting the glass is helpful, I wouldn't have even thought of that. Is crashing a common problem for them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store