Bait Minnows

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dustman28

Registered Member
Mar 8, 2003
Visit site
I have a few questions concerning freshwater bait minnows. I have noticed at the bait shop the minnows are kept in this blue green water.. what is this water and whats in it. also the minnows seem to do just fine in lake water but when put in a tank with an airator some of them instantly die. But many live just fine... im really just wondering how to keep them and how to breed them so I can save trips to the bait shop.

#3 forever,
Dusty

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I think that it may be dyed with methyl blue, because this keeps fungus down. I've seen water dyed with that at pet shops, especially with small containers with bettas.

Stias'

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
WI
Visit site
Just the bait shop guy, he would know better than we would. I asked about the minnows at my local bait shop and he was more than happy to tell me about them, too happy I think, 45 minutes IIRC.

They might be dieing in your tank if it is heated, the minnows seem to last more if in pretty cool water. I always had good luck keeping them in the basement with no heater, it got as cold as 45 degrees down there.

I dont know if you can be sucussful breeding them, might want to try seaning them yourself or maybe asking the bait shop guy if he would give you a discount if you bought a full pound of them from him on delivery day.

good luck
Stias'

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
On Keeping Minnows Alive:

This store owner must be doing something right to keep these alive!! :D

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Sue? How about just not buy there and letting a whole heckuvalot of people know about the cruelty? I don't think that we have any legal recourse against mistreatment like that, which is unfortunate, but it is also the reality of things.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
OK, just checking...it is pretty darn sick, and I agree with you on that!!! 80gJoe, where the (**) is that store?

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by O-man21
that's not even funny. look at the bottom, all of those dead goldfish....you should sue.
Believe it or not. I looked at the bottom too, when I took the pic, and I didn't see a single dead one -- just not at the time.. Musta been a new shipment.

Ray-Ray

< < < < < >
Mar 5, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
I use to by fish form the baitshop to feed my turtles. Two that I had for years died, they looked fine one day and weak the next, it turns they had leeches on them little clear ones, guy at baitshop said that happens sometimes leeches in with the minnows. You buy'em at your own risk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store