ruby top cichlid = bolivian ram?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fiske

AC Members
Apr 1, 2006
Pennsylvania
A local petshop has what looks like bolivian rams in two adjacent tanks. In one tank they are listed as altispinosus (scientific name of bolivian ram) for under $4 and in the other tank they are listed as ruby top cichlids for about $5.50. The only difference between the fish is that the ruby tops are a little darker in coloration. I have read about someone purchasing ruby tops and later identifying them as bolivian rams and I have read that female bolivian rams are darker in coloration than the males. From all this I have figured that the fish supplier is separating their bolivian rams by sex and selling the females at a higher price. Am I right? Has anyone here ever seen fish listed as ruby top cichlids for sale and are they the same as bolivian rams? Are female bolivian rams darker in coloration? Thanks.

Cathy G

Bolivians Rock
Jan 15, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.cathygeier.com
I've seen them listed as Ruby Crown Apistos, but never seperated out by sex or color. I have these fish - Bolivian Rams - and don't believe the female is more colorful or has darker red than the male. In fact, the males are much more colorful in fish and the females only really color up when spawning. I don't know what your lfs is doing, perhaps they ordered their fish and the suppliers sent fish from different breeders with different names - though they are the same fish?
Bolivian rams are being mass bred now, and their prices have come down.
A specialized breeder would breed 'Ruby Crown Apistos' and probably get more money per fish when he sells them.
This is all speculation on my part, yes they are the same fish.
Cathy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store