Vortex Diatom XL running all the time? And also general diatom filter question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

asincero

AC Members
Jan 16, 2006
Can you have a Vortex Diatom XL filter running all the time? I don't know a whole lot about diatom filters, other than you're not supposed to have them running all the time like regular filters. However, the description for the Vortex XL on Pet's Mart web site says "designed for continuous operation".

I currently have an external canister filter. I'm thinking combined with the diatom filter, I can fill the canister filter with nothing but ceramic rings and relegate it to doing bio-filtering only and let the diatom filter handle the mechanical and I guess chemical filtering. Hows that idea sound?

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
It's possible. If you use diatomaceous earth in it, it will plug up very quickly. Even without it, you'll need to rinse it more often than a "regular" filter. I don't know how regularly since I've never ran it more than a couple hours. It would probably be like running a fine filter pad in a "regular" filter. Not sure how you'd use it for chemical filtration.

They're on the noisey side too.

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
Diatom filters are usually used for "polishing" the water - when I was a kid working in a pet shop (working off the fish they gave me!) we would use the old Vortex, going tank to tank after water changes. I would keep some sort of sponge, floss, etc. in the canister and run the diatom filter as needed. I have found that using a hot magnum with the micron cartridge does about the same thing - it is also mobile, and a lot easier and less mess (diatom powder every where! Hehe).

DiabloCanine

AC Members
Nov 14, 2005
What did you do with the owners manual? Have you read this?
http://www.diatomfilter.com/faq/continuously.htm

asincero said:
Can you have a Vortex Diatom XL filter running all the time? I don't know a whole lot about diatom filters, other than you're not supposed to have them running all the time like regular filters. However, the description for the Vortex XL on Pet's Mart web site says "designed for continuous operation".

I currently have an external canister filter. I'm thinking combined with the diatom filter, I can fill the canister filter with nothing but ceramic rings and relegate it to doing bio-filtering only and let the diatom filter handle the mechanical and I guess chemical filtering. Hows that idea sound?

tuvok

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
Cool. Thanks all. It sounds like this kit could form the basis of a nice looking project.

JL Breeder

Registered Member
Apr 21, 2006
Hey

After reading all this stuff about the Vortex Diatom filter, it looks like the way to go :thm: as long as you don't have any fish that hates fast current.
My question is putting this filter on a planted tank, will this be a bad think? :confused: I have heard that it removes all the CO2 in the water and also the trace elements.(BAD FOR PLANTS). :help:

Thanks
JL Breeder :read:

virjee

AC Members
Feb 5, 2006
Edmonds Washington
Diatom Filter - YoFishBoy

I'm itching to buy a diatom filter for my used 55-gallon tank I just bought. I am going to consolidate three other tanks in the house to cut back on tank cleaning time. I'm taking my time setting up the 55-gal, but I keep reading about the outstanding water clarity with the diatom filter, and I have had problems with very slightly cloudy water in my smaller tanks - they're all heavily planted, more than adequate power filters, water changes every week 40-50%. It just seems so complicated to get going, and recharge, etc. Would you recommend a semi-novice (been into aquaria about one year) getting involved with a diatom filter - I do not want to run it constantly either - just a couple of hours a day, once or twice a week, or as needed. Is this workable? What do you think about buying used on Ebay? Help!! :help:

virjee

AC Members
Feb 5, 2006
Edmonds Washington
JL Breeder said:
Hey

After reading all this stuff about the Vortex Diatom filter, it looks like the way to go :thm: as long as you don't have any fish that hates fast current.
My question is putting this filter on a planted tank, will this be a bad think? :confused: I have heard that it removes all the CO2 in the water and also the trace elements.(BAD FOR PLANTS). :help:

Thanks
JL Breeder :read:
I hope the Vortex diatom filter doesn't remove all the co2 in the tank!!! I want to get one to polish the water (run for a few hours once or twice a week), but I have a heavily planted tank, not to mention a lot of fish - trying to give away as many as I can, but not many takers. I can't ask anyone's advise at Petsmart or Petco, 'cause they know very little if anything about their filtering products. I posted a question to YoFishBoy but he hasn't replied yet. I need advise from anyone out there about the pros and cons of using the Vortex - and seems like buying their cheapest model (69.00) is good enough - not sure.

aquanewb

Trying to keep my head above water
Dec 2, 2004
NYC
virjee said:
I hope the Vortex diatom filter doesn't remove all the co2 in the tank!!! I want to get one to polish the water (run for a few hours once or twice a week), but I have a heavily planted tank, not to mention a lot of fish - trying to give away as many as I can, but not many takers. I can't ask anyone's advise at Petsmart or Petco, 'cause they know very little if anything about their filtering products. I posted a question to YoFishBoy but he hasn't replied yet. I need advise from anyone out there about the pros and cons of using the Vortex - and seems like buying their cheapest model (69.00) is good enough - not sure.
I use a Vortex XL on my heavily planted 72g. I have never had any issues with the fish or the plants due to its use. As a matter of fact I find the fish tend to enjoy swimming into the current. I also sometimes put a vacum tube on the input and vacum the tank with it. I tend to run mine for a min of 3 hours to overnight at the max. It makes the water incredibly crystal clear. I actually bought mine when I had a algea bloom and it was amazing to see the water go from thick bright green to crystal clear in about 1.5 hrs.

Now if you decide to buy one be sure to get the recharge valve. (Looks like an H with a valve in it) It makes it much easier to get started then without. Also the motor is connected to the manifold section by way of nuts. Make sure that the nuts are tight each time you use it.... (I dont mean the thumbscrews holding the jar but those should be tight also) The nuts came lose one day and water started streaming out of the unit... This was overnight mind you. I lost about 10g into my living room carpet........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store