Whiptail Catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Primetime

AC Members
Nov 12, 2005
I have a lot of soft algae in my tank and have had problems with green water in the past, that seem to be comming back (water is like 5% greenish).

I was looking at my LFS for an algae eater, and since they did not have SAE's, my preference was to get a Bristlenose Pleco.

However, I am facinated by the Whiptail (twig) Catfish's appearence and since they are on sale at my LFS, I was wondering if they'd make good algae eaters. I also have fry in my tanks and I know that they wont harm fry so thats another bonus.

Any experience/info on them?

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
I have a whiptail, and although I dont have any visible algae in my tank, I can tell you that he is always stuck on something. He is pretty neat and very docile. I would highly recommend them for a community tank.

quenton

Dennis Smith
Feb 5, 2006
Toronto Ontario
I have 4 -- they lived through a very bad ich/fin&tail-rot episode that lasted 3 weeks and killed my clown plecos, my clown loaches and 1 of my bala sharks. The tank was heavily
salted, and had 2 types of bacterial meds in it -- still have 4 whip-tails -- they are neat, they were a spur-of-the-moment purchase which I think was a success.

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
I have one, and he is always minding his own bussiness. He sucks on plants with no damage, and also the glass. He vas even bitten by another tankmate and lost his tail fin. He had a little fungus in the tip, but recovered on his own and his tail grew back. :)

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
May I ask the scientific name of this fish? When i google it I come up with different names and I want to make sure I get the correct one.

Flowerhorn916

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Sacramento, Ca
there a cool fish but they dont clean alage at all from what I see in my tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store