Great Tip for clear water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tommygunnz76

Tommy Gunnz
Apr 2, 2006
SE Wisconsin
Hey everyone! Just like many of you, I am new to the aquarium hobby. Recently I had a HUGE issue with cloudy water which made my tank very unpleasant and absolutely impossible to even see the background in my tank. I tried everything I could and was given a hundred or so possible causes and solutions to my problem. Finally I found the answer and thought I would share it with you all.

Like I said, my tank was so cloudy that I could not see the background on my tank as well as any of my fish who happened to hang out anywhere less than 2 inches or so from the front. I had tried everything from water changes to even getting water from a different source (I have well water and began replacing it with city water). None of this worked until I talked to an aquarim expert. He told me that I should cut a swatch of white t-shirt and place it between the two filters in my filtration system. I can honestly tell you that in less than two hours, you could harly tell there was even water in the tank!

There are two main concerns when doing this however. First, and most obviously, you must check and/or change the t-shirt very regularly. It is also important to note that the t-shirt does not need to be a permanent fixture either and should be used on an 'as needed' basis. The idea is that the t-shirt will provide a much finer mesh for water to flow through and can catch smaller particles that the regular filters do not.

Secondly, do not attempt to use a t-shirt that is dirty, greasy, or otherwise full of harmful chemicals. THIS DOES INCLUDE laundry soap so it may be wise to purchase a cheap t-shirt at your local Wal-Mart for use.

This filtration system is the answer to some of the VERY expensive filters on the market which can and do clear up water problems. Keep in mind though that there could be other reasons for cloudy water and this may not solve everything. In the case of my tank, I was baffled because the water perameters were all exactly where I wanted them with the exception of a very slightly high level of nitrites. Since then however, my nitrates have been lowered since the reduction in particulate matter in the water led to cleaner water.

Again, I am new to the hobby myself and am only posting this because I thought the info could help out some others who may be having the same issue I was.

hurricanejedi

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
Raleigh, NC
www.flowerspride.com
Thats kind of odd. Its great you can see your fish again but I wonder what caused it to begin with? If the condition isn't identified then this could be a continual problem. Do you have driftwood in your tanks because that will cause brown water as the tannins leach out. I have this problem from time to time as my driftwood is new so I just put carbon in my filter from time to time combined with water changes. Haven't had excessive tannins issues in a while.

benji1174

AC Members
Apr 6, 2006
I can't say what caused your cloudiness. I also had a water clarity problem. Mine was caused by my failure to rinse my flourite correctly. I tried my Magnum H.O.T. micron filter but the particles were too small. At the suggestion of my LFS I used KENT pro-clear. Worked like a charm. Just thought this may be helpfull as well. I, personally would be afraid to put a t-shirt in my aquarium for fear of contamination. (who knows where those wal-mart t-shirts have been)

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
you could buy a new t-shirt and then boil it/rinse it to make sure it is free of contaminants. sounds like a good idea. i'd rather go with the t-shirt idea (which is just another layer of mechanical filtration) than with chemicals. with this new idea, i might even try to feed my plecos corn on the cob again. they love it but it makes my tank completely opaque for days because of all the little bits.

Waverider

I want my own ocean
You have to wash new T-shirts. They are covered in manufacturing chemicals from the plant and I am sure the fish would not appreciate that! I read one time that there are 23 different toxic chemicals on a fresh T-shirt...they are at extremely low levels...but for fish I am sure it would be deadly.

Just passing on a tid bit of info.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
In continuing the above post, I know manufacturers use Formaldehyde,
among other pesticides, to prevent rats and insects from eating the fabric
from production, manufacture, storage, and shipping. My eyes used to
water and burn as a child when my mom dragged us through countless
fabric stores. Think of what that coud do to fish!! And, another good
reason to wash new clothes before wearing!! :eek:

zoomed.com