Setting Up A Discus Tank...help needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VTwinFanatic

Endlers
Mar 17, 2005
North Carolina
Okay, I'm setting up my 30 gal heavily planted tank as a discus tank (Only planning on Three Discus). It has been up and running since Oct. and now its residence are 2 rummynose (the others died off within a week), 3 White Clouds, 3 apisto agasazzi, and 5 otos. I have a few sparkling (aka Pygmy) gouramis. would they be okay to put into the tank w/ discus? And what should my GH and KH be. Ive been told that GH should be around 3-5 dGH, but what about KH? My Other Levels are Ammonia 0, Nitirite 0, and Nitrate 0. I'm planning on doing water changes of atleast 40% 2x weekly. Let me know what you think

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
This would be better in the Cichlids Forum...

you'd definately get more info there.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
The white clouds won't like the high temp and IMO a heavily planted thirty gallon is too small for discus.

Mark

LunchBox

Me fail english? that's unpossible!
Feb 7, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
you may want to take a look at the species profiles here at AC. According to the discus profile it requires a minimum 55 gallon tank, while the green discus (don't know what the real difference is) has a minimum of 40 gallons.

your tank sounds almost to capacity already (30s dont' hold as much as I'd like either ;) ) so a discus tank may be a good project if you decide to start a new tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Ditto, while the population may adjust and get along and you seem to be following a "general" guideline of 10 gal/adult discus, a "heavily" planted, 30 gal would not be the best home fot the quantities of fish you have. Discus grow fast under well kept conditions and like the open swim area also. I have about what you say, but in a 90 and the discus are just at 4=5". By the time they are full size, in a short term, the tank will be a great visual and max'd out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store