New guppy, male or female?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

turtlefish

AC Members
May 9, 2005
So today i went to petsmart (newly opened) and their fish are all right, the different types of fancy guppies caught my eye, so I bought 1 male and 1 female (to add to my collection so far). Well, they had them in different tanks so I picked the most colorful female in the tank. The one I picked has a nice circular tail that is like the females I already have. The thing is this guppy is quite small and thin, more male type figure. Then, it has no belly bulge at all, and no gravid spot to be seen. Even if mine arnt pregnant theres still a gravid spot right? The strangest part is this guppy has a weird thin thing under the belly like a gnodium, except I can't tell if its a frayed fin or a real gnodium.
Sorry only have a digital camera, and that doesnt take such good pics so all I can give is a description. Again, the tail is female shaped, body is thin and can't see any gravid spot. The guppy has some weird gnodium shape thing underneath, cannot tell its gender, even though it was supposed to be female in the female tank. None of the males have harrased it and it hasnt really harrased any females, just an occasional nip at the males. Any ideas?

fiske

AC Members
Apr 1, 2006
Pennsylvania
By your post it seems that you know alot about guppies but I am confused by your reference to the tail fin. Guppies are sexed by the anal fin, females have a 1/4 circle shaped one and males have thin gonopodia.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
it's hard to tell by your descriptions, I wish I could see it... but I do want to point out thought that npt all females have the gravid area colored at all times, especially when younger. The sure fire way to tell is not the tail as postedbut by the gonopodia, which you already know. I would say keep an eye on it and see if that fin straightens out. Eventually, as an experienced guppy keeper, you will be able to tell soon enough.

turtlefish

AC Members
May 9, 2005
I jsut mentioned tail as a reference, as usually females have circular oval tails where males have long flowing ones. Seems like night light was playing tricks on me, its a female all right.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store