Angel fish breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

04cobratorchred

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
Is it bad to pull the Angels eggs when they lay them. i always let them raise the eggs themself but i want to try to do it myself so i was just wondering it its bad to pull them out.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I don't think you can get them to raise the fry..some are just good at rasing the fry.

I have two breeding pairs..one set finally had a successful hatch..long story.

the other pair haven't had the eggs last..they turn white..and then they eat them.

but I'll let nature take its course.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
you can try to raise them yourself but be sure to use a fungus preventative, a lot of folks use methylene blue along with a bubble wand for water movement. The adults do this by waving their fins over the eggs.

born, give them some time... eventually they may raise hem as they age, but sometimes, they won't ever...

Star, the eggs that turn white are infertile, it's possible you have 2 females which is not unheard of in a pair.

born2lovefish

AC Members
Feb 20, 2006
Avon, In (suburb of Indianapolis)
I started with about 12 angels. I moved and all made it, but I think some got stressed from the move. Plus being in a different state the water is different here. I brought most of the water with me though. Ok long story, but I will make it short. So most my angels died. I had 6 left and two laid eggs. I memorized what the tail fin looked like and I could tell them apart. Well one of the ones that spawned is still left with a different one than it spawned with the first time. So I have two left now. In a 29 gallon with plants and driftwood. They spawn about every two weeks plus or minus a day or two. Well I have tried to raise them myself. I have been leaving the eggs in the tank. I thought I saw the long ferilizing them once, but maybe it was just acting like it. If I had two females would they keep laying eggs as often as a pair would normally???

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
if they are all adults, be prepared for some fighting. Not saying it will happen but there's a pretty good chance the ones already in the 75 gallon will fight over their turf.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Angels that usually have an unsuccessful spawn will attempt it again in about 2 weeks.

the two pairs I have are now successfully spawning..some egs turn white(unfertilized, missed by the male) but a majority of the eggs are hatching.

the female and even the male may move the hatchlings to a place they think is more safe..

I have found that some males, if they don't like the spot will eat the hatchlings.

don't be discouraged if the eggs hatch and the hatchlings disappear..they could be behind obects.
be careful when cleaning the tank..

I have found some hatchlings..they should be wigglers soon..I have BBS ready.

born2lovefish

AC Members
Feb 20, 2006
Avon, In (suburb of Indianapolis)
Dangerdoll...the "pair" I have now are in a 29 gallon tank. I am going to pull them and put them in the 75 gallon. Three of the new ones will go into the 75 gallon. I am hoping since they have just eaten their eggs that they will pair up again with the new three. Then the Pair that I am geting I am putting in the 29 gallon hoping that they will not each their eggs. I just want to raise angels for the educational experience. Oh and I want to take some to my old high school. I helped start a fish aquarium club there. The first year we had a 29 gallon and 55 gallon tank. I'm not sure what all they have by now. I know this is off topic, but if anyone has time I would suggest you going and trying to start something like that at a school.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store