Dwarf Seahorses

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Barnett8

Here Puffy, Puffy!! Here boy!
Dec 3, 2005
I was thinking about getting a couple of dwarf seahorses I heard that the 10g I'm setting up will need to have at least 10 seahorses. But I found a site that will sell me 12. I have also have a small 1g fry tank. Any suggestions has anyone kept them before?? :clap: :clap:

jjirsa78

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
I don't think you "NEED" 10 seahorses, and if you're really just getting started, I wouldn't personally throw in 10 right away, let alone 12. Start with a pair, and go from there...

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Depends how much saltwater experience you have. Seahorses are NOT easy to keep especially the Dwarfs as you need to consistently hatch out live brine to keep them fed. A 10g will take a lot of work and they will need to be fed at least 3x a day. Are you prepared for that? Just be sure to do TONS of research so you know what you are getting into. I have kept them and they would breed but still were not easy. Anyway hope this helps and good luck!

moonwolf

AC Members
Apr 10, 2006
florida
i have been looking into this myself.. they recommend a 2-5 gallon tank because you have to feed them baby brine shrimp and they need a small space to feed..

moonwolf

AC Members
Apr 10, 2006
florida
Barnett8 said:
I was thinking about getting a couple of dwarf seahorses I heard that the 10g I'm setting up will need to have at least 10 seahorses. But I found a site that will sell me 12. I have also have a small 1g fry tank. Any suggestions has anyone kept them before?? :clap: :clap:

do you have their website? im in need of a good supplier. thanks...wolf

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Dwarves are DEFINATELY a challenge. I have not kept them, but done tons of research on them because I would like to attempt them one day.

You'd need a 5 gallon tank (a 10 gallon will need at least 5 pairs to keep the population up, and be able to consume all the BBS you will have to feed in such a large tank). 5 gallons will be much easier in terms of keeping the food concentration high. I'd get 3-5 pairs in a 5 gallon. You must have no live rock or live sand, and you'll need to carefully decorate the tank so they have lots of little hitching posts.

You'll need to hatch live baby brine shrimp daily, and feed twice a day at least as has been mentioned before. You'd probebly have to hatch twice a day to keep the artemia fresh and most nutritious for your dwarves.

The babies can be kept in the adult tank, and should not be separated (from what I've read).

Anyways, its tons of work, and I actually advise you start out keeping larger seahorses first, they are much easier (especially if they eat frozen food).

If you do decide to go with dwarves, it sounds like you need to do tons of research first.

:)
-Diana

Germanman

My fish are my babies
im glad to see someone else who is into seahorses like i am but dwarfs are a hard keep. i would only buy them if they ate frozen food. and ive only seen them tank raised once and i still didnt order them for the store because my tank is packed and neather the store or anyone interested in them could care for them. i say do the reasearch first and maybe try reidis first(real easy if they are TR). my only concern is the size of the tank i love nano tanks but the salinity just jumps so fast and dwarfs are soooooo sencitive. maybe concider a 5 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump of fuge to compesate for the lack of stability in a 5 gallon. anyway good luck and i hope u do as well with yours as i have with mine!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store