Weird algea

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
I have some weird algea in my planted tank. Its all on the substrate on the bottom. Its is bright blue/green and is like watery pudding in consistency. None of my algea eaters seen to touch it. (otto's, florida flag fish,clown pleco) It is only in one corner of my tank. Not on any plants or decorations.
water peramaters are normal. Any idea's?
Maybe it's not algea at all?
Thank you.

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
Oh yeah, it's algae--green slime algae. And if you don't nip it, that stuff will spread.

It's easier to remove than most, though, for a start ... I can't recall exactly what causes that stuff, but you know it's got to do with lights and too much nutrient of some kind. Overfeeding? Daylight hitting the tank? (Gasp) inadequate water changes?!

-- Pat

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
That sort of algae can be combated quite easily through good nutrient control.

If you can give us more info on your setup, it'd help greatly. At the least, we're going to need to know:

Size of tank
Amount of lighting
CO2 Concentration (if you are injecting)
Inhabitants
Fertillizing routine.

-Richer

HazyWater

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
SoCal U.S. of A
sounds like blue-green algae. Actually its a bacteria and fish won't touch it.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/cyanobacteria.html
Its nasty stuff and hard to get rid of. There was a nice thread prewipe, but oh well. The easiest way to get rid of it is medication, but you should do that only in extreme cases.

What you should do depends on your set up. High light and CO2 injected tanks should limit phosphates and keep all the other macronutrients at appreciable levels. Lower tech tanks should increase aeration.

Good ol' manual labor will remove what is there. Just suck it up with your water change once you've scrubbed it off.

I believe planting some fast growing plants or encouraging an algae bloom will also help kill it.

Just remember, this isn't algae, its a bacteria-plant hybrid monster.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
If you keep your nutrients controlled an CO2 concentrations at a good level, you can get rid of it quite easily. I shoud know. I combatted this type of algae before when I first started out with plant tanks. However, once I got my nutrients going right along with my CO2 they just spontaneously dissappeared.
Medication is usually _never_ needed for any kind of outbreak problems, whether they are bacteria, algae, or whatever. Worst comes to worst, try a complete blackout for a couple of days to see if that improves anything.

FYI, in high light/co2 injection systems, phosphates do not cause algae outbreaks. Tom Barr has setup several tanks with high phosphates level and has never experienced algae outbreaks in those tanks. He believes its ammonia that causes algae outbreaks, and I agree with him.

HTH
-Richer

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
Tanks for the help, My tank is 65 gal. with 2 96 watt lights (2.95 watts per gal) Presurized co2.
PH 7
KH 5
CO2 @ 20PPM.
NO2 and no3 I forget will retest tonight, I'll let you know.
The last time I did test they were @ 0 or very low.
I feed a couple of drops of ? every other night. (I'll get that as well) and I usally do a water change once a week about 30%
Any other information you need? Oh, I also feed the fish every other day. (inless my husband has been helping with out me knowing:eek: I told him not too!)
Thanks again:)

Oh the fish I have
4 blue groumis
3 31/2" clown loaches
4 zebra danio's
1 angelicus
2 clown pleco's
4 koolie loaches
7 otto's
1 florida flag fish
1 ram

Last edited:

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
Thanks for the link! It's off to war I go! all I can say is at least its only in one small corner of my tank and hopefuly I'll be able to stop it before it spreads!

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
Unfortunatly I can' t do that as the out take is in the back and
the slime is in the front won't reach, would a water pump work?
I have one I can put there. Why lower the water level? and how much? Thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store