Small Anphibians?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
fire belly newt or toad. they can co-exist with each other and probably any fish that is'nt small enough to be eaten.

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
I really dont think you should keep either of them in a tank that small. I would go for 10g minimum with either of those species. They are pretty dirty and would require daily water changes not to mention the fact that both are escape artists and will probably get out of the tank. The both love to climb glass and with the tank being that small they wouldnt have much room in either the land or water.

Primetime

AC Members
Nov 12, 2005
jodimartin2003 said:
I really dont think you should keep either of them in a tank that small. I would go for 10g minimum with either of those species. They are pretty dirty and would require daily water changes not to mention the fact that both are escape artists and will probably get out of the tank. The both love to climb glass and with the tank being that small they wouldnt have much room in either the land or water.
Alright. Any other ideas? I am thinking a couple ADF's for the water but what about the land area?

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
The fire bellied newts will be fine in a tank that size.....They stay about 3 inches in length, though there are redbellied newts that look very similar to the firebellied....only they get about 3 times as big and eat anything they can get a hold of.

Here's a pic of my newts that I have in a 5 gallon river tank.....however...they NEVER go in the water. They much prefer to hang around on land under and IN the plants.

I'm thinking that if you want these smaller type newts, you could do a viverium type setup rather than "aquarium"....with a small dish of water in there for them to wallow in if they want to get wet. I payed 6$ each for these newts at an lfs...and have had them for about 2 years now.

Make sure you get the right type of newt...lol....those other ones I mentioned are fully aquatic and their tails are more like "paddles" than the ones I have...also, I believe the orange on their bellies is a solid orange, and doesn't have that black patterning that you see on mine. And like Jodi said, make sure you have a cover on the tank. These guys are really cute ! :D

Last edited:

minnesotagal866

AC Members
May 30, 2005
I have had the opposite experience as EMG--my newts are fully aquatic, rarely on the land area. I originally had mine in a 10G but now they are in a 20G long. I'm looking at a 2.5G I have set-up and it looks a little small for a newt, although with careful planning I think it could work. If that's all you have to work with, I'd set up some type of platform so the water can go all the way across to provide a larger amount of water. This will help give the newt more swimming area (if s/he wants it) and help with water quality. It would also give two distinct levels and increase your "floor space" like a loft. I'm not sure what you could use with such a small tank for filtration, you might have to do every other day water changes. If you only have a half tank of water, it's not really enough space for an ADF--they like to sort of "jump" from top to bottom, and that doesn't leave a lot of swimming room. A firebelly toad would work much better in my opinion--mine is pretty lazy although he occasionally swims back and forth to check out the view. Truth be told, 2G is really not enough room for much, your best bet would be to hold one betta in a full tank of water. Other more "interesting" animals that would be OK in that small a tank are a couple of shrimp. I have a couple of endler's and a couple of shrimp in a planted 2.5G and it looks pretty good.

10G tanks are cheap, what, about $10? I'd spring for it and a decent filter (I use a Fluval 1+) and scrounge around for some rock you might already have, steal a few plants from another tank, and set it up pretty cheaply. You can always upgrade later, in fact, if you do 2-3 times water changes weekly you could forego the filter until you could afford one--they are messy. Mine will only eat frozen bloodworms, one will occasionally touch newt bites if I don't feed bloodworms, the other goes on a hunger strike until the bloodworms are produced.

Good luck, there are a lot of people who do "nano tanks" and they have done some pretty amazing things.

Jackie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store