Man Rediscovers Gift Fruitcake From 1962

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
ewww... thats an old cake!

AND he said that it still looked the same!

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
Why does fruitcake have a bad rap? I love that stuff!

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
Galaxie said:
Why does fruitcake have a bad rap? I love that stuff!

THANK YOU! Now I feel brave enough to admit that I too like fruitcake! :sim:

beblondie

grand high exhalted poobah
Mar 25, 2005
A good fruitcake is tasty
A bad fruitcake can ruin your desire for fruitcake

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
You're right, Beblondie!
My parents and i love friutcake. Mom and dad always ordered it from a place in Texas and it's quite yummy.
My grandparents would get tehm the cheap grocery store ones...because you like fruitcake...and on my they were awful!!
I am trying to perfect my own recipe. I keep notes from year to year as what I put in it...and of course you have to soak it in booze. MMM...
My family will try a piece or 2...but I don't care. I share with my dad. He appreciates it.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
Fruitcake---bleecchhhh! It does last forever--the alcohol certainly helps!! But I do think it is absolutely disgusting. However, I have the utmost respect for those who delve into the darkness of the world of fruitcakes. Every year for forever, I have bought my Dad as one of his Christmas gifts a Claxton (specifically!!!) fruitcake, which he manages to make last until the next year (lol not really, but he does it small slices). It goes great with new underwear, tee shirts and cd's (and various things for his menagerie!!!)
I have never been able to gag down a bite. Candied fruit? BARF!! Gimme a rumsoaked pound cake any day, baby!!! :D

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
rosita said:
Fruitcake---bleecchhhh! It does last forever--.. ...
I have never been able to gag down a bite. Candied fruit? BARF!! ...
I feel the same way about it. The texture is ...gross...

This stuff was probably around way before refridgeration. That could be the only excuse for keeping fruit around so long after its natural decay period.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store