Fire Belly Newt HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spotnik

Registered Member
Apr 20, 2006
My newt is not moving at all, is this because hes dead or is it a sign of shedding. He does have a bit of white film? on his face. He has been active over the last couple days, and was laying belly up the other night, but was also sqirming. Did nudge him with the net, no reply. I also had another bottom feeder, cory cat and he died the other day. PLEASE HELP!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Firebelly newts need land. I have two and they NEVER go in the water. There is a newt that reasembles the firebellies, but it's alot larger and is a fully aquatic newt....which WILL eat any fish that'll fit in it's mouth. Their bellies are plain orange without the black mottling that the firebellies have on thier bellies.

If he's still alive, take him out of the water and put him somewhere where it's moist with alot of cover for him to hide under. Newts like to have places where they feel they can't be seen.

minnesotagal866

AC Members
May 30, 2005
Does your firebelly have access to land area? They need to be able to get onto the land if they want. My newts are almost totally aquatic (as opposed to EMG's who are land) but occasionally they will surface and get air and walk around a bit on the rocks. If they are unable to get to land, they can die. Also, have you checked your water parameters? The fact that you lost a cory may mean that you have something wrong with your water. What had the newt been eating? Mine eat only frozen bloodworms.

On a sad note, I lost a firebelly last week. I hadn't seen him for a couple of days, and started moving rock around. Apparently the rocks shifted and he was trapped. I feel absolutely horrible--I should have made sure the rocks could not shift at all. I now have a single firebelly newt and a firebelly toad in a 20G long--it looks so lonely. The rock problem has been fixed. I want a new newt but we are moving in 6 weeks and it seems silly to buy a newts that will have to travel 1100 miles.

Jackie

dino_eel

AC Members
Oct 21, 2005
seems to me that he is in a full aquatic setup if you have to nudge the newt with a net, I had a newt in only a small amount of water and lots of land areas, since newts aren't really build for aquatic life to well.

04cobratorchred

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
Emg said:
Firebelly newts need land. I have two and they NEVER go in the water. There is a newt that reasembles the firebellies, but it's alot larger and is a fully aquatic newt....which WILL eat any fish that'll fit in it's mouth. Their bellies are plain orange without the black mottling that the firebellies have on thier bellies.

If he's still alive, take him out of the water and put him somewhere where it's moist with alot of cover for him to hide under. Newts like to have places where they feel they can't be seen.

Thats funny that your FBN only stays on land mine will only stay in the water even when i pick him up and put him on the land he will be back in the water within mins.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
that's how mine was way back when..... oh, I'm thinking 1996. I had one and fixed a 55 gallon tank for him. 3 quarters of it, I made land with dirt and plants and then the 4th quarter, I silconed some plexiglass and bult a little swimming hole. He never came out of it yet, I had a ACF in it that wouldn't stay in the water.... he kept hopping out onto the dirt and to the other side of the tank...

JoeRags3

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Millstone Township, NJ
Agree with everyone here.. You need a land portion for a FBN to crawl up on, and you need to check your water parameters. If your FB hasn't passed on, and still having problems with the "white fuzz" you can try caudata.org. There are some real experts there that know a lot about FBN.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store