can fire belly newts and frogs get along with fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
well can they? I would'nt be surprrised if they snacked on a neon or something but is there anything that would make them incompatible with fish? I think I'me gonna do my 55g ( just found out, getting it next week :) as a paludarium (although mostly water) and it would look kind of boring with just plants above the water line. Also is there anything else that would live above the water line in a paludarium and get along with fish and plants?

BTW: the fish are gonna be mostly medium sized and slow moving (like bettas and gouramies)

JoeRags3

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Millstone Township, NJ
FBN need cool temps, preferably nothing over 72*. Neons, betta, and gouramis need a warmer temp than FBN are used to. Higher temps can cause stress and disease to your Fire Bellies. If you do go the route with Betta's and Gouarmi's make sure they are mild mannered and don't mind things in the water with them.

I would be apprehensive to put Fire belly toads (thats what I'm assuming your frogs are) and newts together. While some people have managed to do so, there are horror stories of times the toads have taken bites out of FBN, I'm talking about missing limbs and things. FBT might also see the long fins of a betta as a tasty snack, given the opportunity. If you want both try didviding the 55 gal into two seperate areas that the toads and newts can't come in contact with eachother.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
guess thats out of the question, just looking for ideas. The tank is going to be heated to 78F as I have a bunch of fish in need of the extra space. I'me planning on building a betta divider system in the top, back half of the tank ( wich will only be viewable from the back) so the water level of the main tank will be about 7-8 inches from the tank rim so it's nothing to add a land area.

here is an ilistration of what it will look like from the side
water = 14"x48"x12" betta divider= 6"x6"x48" water from the main tank will be pumped through the betta divider and return to the main tank in the form of a water fall/stream.

Last edited:

minnesotagal866

AC Members
May 30, 2005
The newts will not do well in 78 degrees. I keep my newt tank at about 70-72 degrees. I keep a FBN and a FBT together but my toad is extremely meek and that is not common. The toad would be ok in warmer temperatures, they also appreciate a basking light. Also, if there are a lot of fish in the tank the FBN may have problems competing for food. They are slow, at least mine are. In a tank with a bunch of fish I doubt mine would eat much.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but it sounds like the 55 is primarily for your extra fish. Newts and toads have specialized habitats and their tank should be set up for them specifically. Sounds like you need a fish tank, not a newt tank. If you want newts/toads, I'd set up a tank specifically for them. They'll be much happier and so willl you in the long run.

jackie

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
ok, no newts or toads, the tank is gonna be a paludarium anyway and the newts and toads were the first thing that came to mind. years ago I wanted to get a newt or something similar (and did a lot of resaearch on them) but got my first betta instead. (and now I'me up to five tanks)

vaderbanger

AC Members
Dec 1, 2005
i had fire belly newts, california newts, clawed frogs and eastern newts all living in a half filled 30 gallon long fish tank for years
the fish i had in there with them were a school of tiger barbs
the tank was unheated as all my tanks are, winter temps were 77 constant and summer temps with a nyc heatwave reached 84 at times.
neither fish nor newt suffered
the only thing i had to keep in check was the amonia level because amphibians give off alot more "pee" than fish. i did weekly water changes of 20% and it kept amonia at zero
i ran 2 fluval in tank filters at each end
lighting was a basic flourescent with hood

so i am someone who actually did this with success

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store