Platy pregnant or not

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ReefRaft

Respect My AUTHORITY!
Apr 18, 2006
I know platies are a very common breeding fish and all but how do i tell if my platy is indeed pregnant. right now i have two female platies (i had a male but he died from ich). One of the females is getting quite plump while the other is just the same as when i bought them. they both look like they eat the same, both have healthy fins and eat and swim fine. anyway is there any change in charcteristics i should be noticing. thanks for any help.

P.S. ive never bred fish before.

Apr 5, 2006
Pa
well as most live bearers there is a loss of appetite and she will hide from you . . . and get a squarish shape . . . just throw some fake plants in there incase you arent there

misscrosson

Aquarium Addict
Sep 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If you could post a picture it might help with better knowing if she's pregnant or not

goldentiff

AC Members
Feb 3, 2006
Mine just hatched about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I had put her in a floating hatchery and about a week later...voila.

She had about 21 fry so far about 15 have survived. I switched the fry to a 10gallon w/a snail for clean-up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store