Swollen Bellied Krib

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

grottosandfins

AC Members
Jan 3, 2005
Madison, CT
I have a small female krib whose belly is swollen and very red. Does this mean she has eggs? Also, of the three kribs I have, I thought I had a male and 2 females. The more I look at them I think I have 2 males and a female. What sort of trouble am I looking at and what should I do?

fiske

AC Members
Apr 1, 2006
Pennsylvania
Your female is plump with eggs and one of the males should pair up with her. What to expect depends upon your tank size. I've had two males in a 55 gallon, each one claimed a side and everything was good but there wasn't a female to fight over. If your males fight, I would think that the dominant male should get the girl. He will be healthier after the confrontation and more likely to breed.

Either the pair or the sub-dominant male should be removed. The other inhabitants will be the deciding point of whether or not to keep a breeding pair of kribs in your tank. I tried to keep a breeding pair in a 30 gallon community tank with tetras and they crammed everybody into a corner where aggression and stress were escalated. If you like the breeding colors but don't want the aggression, you could siphon out the fry when they show up and place them in a separate tank of their own.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store