Great White Shark Stalks Kayak

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Here are 2 pics of it, the second one has "Quick Fix" editing applied.

There's a website that swears the photo is real and not edited, but right in the middle you can see a "seam" in the photo... Looks like editing to me..

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
it could have been scanned out of a magazine with half of the picture on two different pages.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
it's totally edited! it doesn't even match up.... AND the front of the "shark" has white markings on it, looking a bit like a young orca.... however the tail looks sharkish. There's too many questionable items in this pic...

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Doll, deffinatly a shark by the orientation of the fins, and the tail is obviously shark shapped (longer on top, seemingly making a sweep from left to right in relation to the dorsal) white spot is just a reflection on a wave. It deffinatly lines up if we assume it was out of a mag. :)

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
that is definately a great white shark DD, not an orca. all aquatic mammals have a horizontal tail. all fish have vertical tails. that one is defintaly vertical. also, great whites are gray/black on top and white on the bottom. this is ts that they blend in. water from above looks very dark, and so anything viewing the shark from above would see the dark back and it would blend into the dark water. water from below looking up looks very light, so the white belly of the shark would blend in with the lighter water. that's why almost every aquatic creature is colored in such a way. dark backs, pale bellies

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Dangerdoll said:
eh, I'm still skeptical
Me too!

After cropping the background, zooming in and getting rid of some pixel 'noise', I found the hill in the background to abruptly disappear at the seam. Even with a magazine fold, shouldn't the hill show up just a little bit?

And, the color of the sky is way off...

The color differences make the photo look like a fake.
But the water "reflections" seem to match.

Last edited:

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
The hill IS there joe! It drops off suddenly but you can still see the light reflection along the top of the ridge. Being at a slight angle when scanned, of course the colors will be off from one page to the next.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store