Bioload and stocking of inverebrates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
Whew. Came on here today and wasted so much time I almost forgot what I wanted to post today.

I have what I think is a good question I have never seen discussed on here. How do invertebrates affect stocking levels and bioload? Take a look at my tank (in signature). I know I am not overstocked, but I wouldn't add much more fish-wise to my tank, because I think the crayfish and crab are comfortable with their tankmates, and they are truly the centerpiece animals of my tank, so their success is paramount. I even stocked a few female white clouds last week so they can have some fish fry in their diet when spawning occurs (which I fully expect it to).

My question is how do inverts affect the stocking of a tank? They don't occupy the water column (unless Popeye gets excited and starts popping around), but do contribute a moderate amount of waste. They do limit the strata I can target with fish (neons, yoyos. etc. are out), as they effectively own the ground floor.

Thoughts?

Pufferpoison

Like a dolls eyes
Feb 6, 2006
their cleaning / scavaging completely outweighs their pooping / waste.

Ghost shrimp, IMO, would take about 10-15
to equal the waste of lets say a Molly.

Pufferpoison

Like a dolls eyes
Feb 6, 2006
also this is related to SW, but still you see the point.

Most SW tanks incorporate shrimp as they are one of the best scavengars / cleaners you can own. If you ever have looked at prebuilt reef cleaner packs - they add lots of shrimp and most ppl don't even count them when figuring a bio-load, basically calling them a cleaner crew.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store