Going to have a new 33 gallon tank. Some suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OmriUria

AC Members
Apr 23, 2006
Hi there'

In about a month from now I'm going to own a new aquarium tank of 33 gallon. This will be a freshwater tank and I need help from you guys to suggest me what kind of community tank to build and what fish to have in it. Any ideas will be welcome...

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you could set up a small biotope tank..
or

you prob need to try and figure out what fish you like then see if the species are compatible.

compensate

Registered Member
Mar 17, 2006
Middle Tennessee
If this is your first tank, I would not suggest a biotope tank, unless you want an interesting challenge.

Freshwater tanks are generally easier to maintain than saltwater with generally less expensive fish, too.

You could go for a coldwater or tropical community tank.

Maybe a rift lake cichild tank?

There are lots of choice, but I would recommend the "typical" tropical community tank for a first tank. . .

Chose your fish carefully - do plenty of research, especially on maximum size of each fish you like! So many people buy a "cute" little fish for a smaller tank and then discover later that the cute "little" fish will actually grow to 8 inches or more!

Have fun!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
my first suggestion is to go with fishless cycling.... nothing beats it and no fish have to suffer ammonia burns throughout it. You will have 6 weeks to decide on what avene you want to take with inhabitants. That's plenty of time to pick out just the right thing.

Genral72

Giver of worthless imformation.
Oct 15, 2005
Pittsburgh
I would have to agree with DD. Do the fishless cycle then decide. I take it you do know what a fishless cycle is right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store