Building a sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
Ok... now that I have tried my hand at working with Acrylic by building a small (2 gallon) tank, Im ready to start designing and building a sump. The basic plan is to build a sump that is similar to a Tidepool with the pull out trays in the bio tower. Instead of a biowheel like the Tidepool, Im planning on using 3 gallons of bioballs.

I want to have 4 trays in the bio tower.

1) Prefilter / drip tray
2) ?
3) ?
4) Bio Balls

This will give me the ability to place whatever I want in the 2 middle trays (Crushed coral, Carbon, etc).

Im planning on building the biotower as a stand alone unit, then building the sump itself, and placing the bio tower in it.

The way I see it, 1 gallon of bio balls came in a 9" x 5" x 6" box. That's 270 cubic inches... Times 3 thats 810 cubic inches for bio balls.

I want to have 5 inches of water under the bioballs. This will be the water level in the sump (should be enough to cover the submersible return pump).

Now...

The question is, whats the best way to construct the trays? I know the top one needs to be a drip plate 2 inches deep acrylic tray with holes drilled in it. What about the other trays? Should each one be another drip plate style or should I use egg crate for these?

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
it still works for me... weird?!

oh, maybe i'm viewing it in my cache... sheesh.

with permission, i'll see if i can copy it and post it online... i'll get back in here and render the verdict.

:)

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
i downloaded the thread to my HD...

ill find a way to host it online once the other forum is shut down.

the link still works BTW... the other software hasent been shut off yet.

wiEngineer

AC Members
Aug 25, 2002
Madison, WI
Weird, I get the following:

Not Found
The requested URL /forums/html/Forum8/HTML/000207.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

---

As long as we can get it back in the end :)

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Dale (reefscape) says he is going to transfer all the archived threads over to the new archives on the new software.

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
it has been done, anyone that wants to check out the sump thread can go to the archives (bottom of the main forum page), and go into marine FIY!

YAY!

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
The sump thread from the old board contains some useful information but... its mainly about overflows and plumbing rather than the actual issues one is confronted with when building a DIY sump and biotower.

My question is more geared towards building the actual filter and sump than overflows etc. If anyone has information regarding this, Id greatly appreciate it (See the first post in this thread).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store