Northern Pike in a tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SuperLink88

AC Members
Apr 26, 2006
a friend of mine is stocking his lake right now and has a couple 8 inch northern pike and he offered to let me have one, i was wondering if i could keep it in a tank for a couple months before putting him in my pond so he gets big enough that he cant swim downstream. i was thinking maybe a foot long or 14" and ill release him.

Will he survive in the tank?

If so how big of a tank does he need and what should i have plantwise?

and another local pond has a bunch of small bluegill in it, can i feed them to the pike?

the pike is going into the pond no matter what but i thought it would be cool to have it in a tank for a little bit. any input would be helpfull

shaunakadub

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
Hmmm... the only experience I have with No. Pike is fishing for them, lol (catch and release, of course)

Honestly, I'd say don't attempt it. It would need a huge tank even if it were only going to be for a few weeks/months (atleast 150gallons)

Another problem with your idea is that in a lot of cases, a fish raised in an aquarium will have a tough time when its released into the wild (Doesn't have the same feeding sched. nor the same type of food)

And finally, as you probably already know, they are ice cold killers. It would have to be the only fish in the tank.

SuperLink88

AC Members
Apr 26, 2006
yeah i kind of got the fact that it will be the only other fish living in the tank, i think ill just put it straight into the pond/small lake.

raymgnz

AC Members
Apr 16, 2006
Philadelphia
A co-worker had caught a baby N.Pike while fishing. Took him home with the same intention you had. Came home one day and the pike had lept out of the tank and was dead. They are very strong fish even as juveniles. So if you decide to do it make sure you wieght down the lid.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Where do you live? Some one did the same thing, "just put it in his pond and hopped it would stay" here in California. The non native fish has decimated trout and bass populations, and there is no way to erradicate them without killing all other aquatic life. I would not keep it at all, in my pond nor in a tank.

If you have to keep it(assuming it is legal), I would do no less than 150-175 gallons. Larger if possible. If it will eventually be in a lake or pond you do not want to stunt it, and want enough swimming room to ensure proper muscle development.

minnesotagal866

AC Members
May 30, 2005
shaunakadub said:
Hmmm... the only experience I have with No. Pike is fishing for them, lol (catch and release, of course)

Personally, I subscribe to the "catch and eat" theory myself. Mmmmmm, northerns in beer batter are delicious. . .

jackie

MoparORnoCAR

It's our struggles that define us.
Dec 8, 2005
LaCrosse, WI
First off I am sure it is not legal, second you would need a very large tank to house it, and third it would be very aggressive and need to be the lone occupant.

I would have to advise against it.

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
sumthin fishy said:
Some one did the same thing, "just put it in his pond and hopped it would stay" here in California. The non native fish has decimated trout and bass populations, and there is no way to erradicate them without killing all other aquatic life.
Somewhat offtopic, but I find the statement at least partially ironic, since bass (Micropterus spp.) are non-native to California.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store