Raising Bloodworms, few questions...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoчnoyGostь

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
Hi. Sometime ago I read an article online about raising bloodworms and mosquito larvae outside in a garbage-can lid, but unfortunately can't remember where it was. If somebody else read that or something similar to that, can you please provide a link? I think it was an article right here on AC, but I'm not sure.

From what I remember all it required was a little gravel on the bottom of the lid and water (duckweed was also suggested, but I don't remeber why) and mosquitos will do the rest. How high is the risk of introducing infection or parasites into the tanks, assuming this does work and I get some live bloodworms? Is there a way to clean them before I feed them to my fish? Any other thoughts on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
This might be the article that you were looking for:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=415653&postcount=2

Duckweed was to prevent 'green water' by acting as a nutrient sponge.
I rinsed mine with some tap water and then tankwater before feeding to the fish. I'm not aware of any common parasites that host in both midge larvae and fishes, and have never seen the effects of such from feeding.

NoчnoyGostь

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
Thanks a lot, that is the article I was looking for! Nice article Raskolnikov. I'll try it this summer, as soon as the school ends.

NoчnoyGostь

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
Hi. A few more questions... Is it possible to freeze bloodworms and mosquito larvae in one of those ice trays? I only have two tanks and I feed frozen/live food only once a week, so if I have to harvest every other day, I'll have much more food than I can feed.
This brings me to another question - about how much bloodworms and mosquito larvae is it possible to harvest at one time? Let's say in terms of frozen cubes sold in stores, about one or two?
Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store