Planted Tank Newbie - Setup and lighting for microswords?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goodfortune

Registered Member
Apr 27, 2006
Hello All:

I am in the process of setting up a planted tank, and I would like some feedback on my proposed setup, as detailed below:

Tank:
38g (144 L); Dimensions 36" X 12" X 20" (91 cm X 30 cm X 51 cm)

Water Source:
Dechlorinated Tap water (TDS ~ 45 ppm); I have a RO/DI for my reef tank should RO/DI be more suitable

Substrate:
60 lbs. (27 Kg.) of Eco-Complete

Lighting:
2 - 55W 6500K PC Bulbs in DIY wood canopy; ~ 2.9 WPG (~0.76 WPL)

Filtration:
Aquaclear 50 Hang-On Power Filter; will remove carbon insert

CO2:
DIY using yeast method; most likely 2-2 liter soda bottles "ganged" together
Hagen "Ladder" Diffuser

Ferts:
Have not decided, but probably dry ferts mixed into a stock solution

One of the plants I would like to have is the Brazilian Microsword (Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis); I really like its grass-like appearance in the foreground of a tank. However, I understand that it a high-light demanding plant. Do you think that I will provide enough light for microswords, given my proposed setup? if not, what are some other ground covers with a similar look, but that are not as light demanding as the microsword?

Thanks in advance; I look forward to everyone's responses :)

- Michael

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I think your biggest issue will be the filtration. The AC will outgas most of the co2 you add. You would be better off with a filter that did not create suraface aggitation.

justintoxicated

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
I just stuck a sponge rubber banded to the AC50 at the bottom of the filters output channel, now there is no surface agitation in the tank, other than the water going through the filter itself...

orthikon

AC Members
Aug 22, 2005
You can put plug the filter in a timer. I turn mine off an hour before lighting then back on 30 mins before lights out. Even with the water level is at the same height of the output of my HOB I can not get it to below 7 with the filter on. now it's at most 6.8 (hard to tell from test kit).

Are you going to be using the AHsupply kit for lighting? If not you could use Corallife's 2x96 watt fixutre. This will give you >4 wpg but the effective light intensity would probably be the same as the AHsupply kit with their uber reflector.

For yout CO2 try using at least 3 soda bottles. On my 10 gal I am running 2 2-liter bottles. Or you could put in more than 1/4 tsp of yeast but you would have to replace your solutions sooner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store