Anemone Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
I bought a gbta on Saturday and after aclimating it to my tank I placed it in a spot where I thought it would be happy. Unfortunately the spot had a small hole that went through to the back side of the tank. The anemone during the night went through the hole and planted his foot on the underside of a very very large rock and is facing the back of the tank under my prefilter skimmer box. It is in an impossible to feed it place and any attempt I make to move it are unsuccessful as I don't want to damage it. I tried pointing the powerhead at it for a couple of hours yesterday but it didn't move and I didn't want the sand blowing all over the place. My question is, will it move to a better spot with more light on it's own? and will it starve if I can't target feed it there? If it moves I hope to catch it and place it in a happy spot........

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I know my brother's anemone decided to hide int he back of the tank. It took a very long walk for it to get to a secluded spot. Then it died.

They seem very stubborn and willing to die. But moving them probably will result in damage that could be irreversable.

mermaiden78

AC Members
Oct 23, 2005
Mobile Alabama
Real Name
Dana
Let him move around on his own... As long as there is no chance for anything hurting him. Example intakes and such. I had a condy that would move around about once every 2 weeks then moved to the back of the tank and died. But before that he would move all over the tank. It didnt matter what I did he would float from front to back and side to side. Just let him be for now. If he moves then he didnt like that spot and if he dont well... Just wait and see what he does on his own. You dont want to take a chance by moving him and hurting him. Just my Opinion.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Yeah, its hard to say. My bubble tip did the EXACT same thing. I had it for a few weeks and it was "fine", and then one day it went on the underside of a rock. There were corals on the top side so I couldn't turn the rock over. Anyways, it stayed there for almost two months. I tried to feed it and move it but it all failed.

Then one day, out of the friggin blue, it was up on top of the rock again, bleached stone white. It had no tenticles, and was about the size of a quarter. I fed it, and nursed it back to health. Eventually it let go of the rock and I was able to move it to a newer tank with a bit more lighting. That was several months ago, and its looking more fabulos then ever with huge bubble tips.

So, mine was a success story. But they often dont recover after bleaching themselves.

The thing about BTA's is they of course like light and moderate flow, but they also like to stick thier foot in a crack where they can shrink into if they want. So placing them where there a little crack or hole in the rock tends to work out well.

:)
-Diana

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
Update.....a week later, bta has decided to move. I woke up this morning to find it on a high rock placed evenly between my frogspawn and toadstool. It is not touching the toadstool but the frogspawn will expand with light and they will touch. I imagine it will move again???? once it gets stung by the fs?

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Anemones will move around to a spot they want to be in, if you find it in a certain spot it wants to be, moving it forcfully is a bad thing to do. Thats the thing about having a living animal, they dont tend to do what you want them to do :)

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
well he moved again last night. Now to an even worse spot, I am hopeful that he decides to move again to a better more convenient spot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store