biiiig fat African dwarf frog needs help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

veganskater

Registered Member
Mar 10, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I haven't "been here" for a while--it's been so long that they invalidated my old user name.

Anyway, some of you may remember my 2-yr-old female African dwarf frog...who just kept growing. And growing.

Nothing has changed, except now she's even more bloated, if that's possible.

Someone suggested it might be a metabolic disorder called dropsy. That makes sense to me, since she used to eat an unbelievable amount of bloodworms...even for an African dwarf frog. I mean, this frog would consume so many worms it was incredible. She actually got fat (normal fat, not this bloating disease) for a while until I cut back on her food intake. And then some time after that, she started to grow again, in this weird way. The only problem with its being dropsy is that she's not showing any signs of dying, which is good.

Anyhow, she's had this bloating disease for quite some time. she just keeps getting larger and larger. It's not fat, though, it's bloat, as though someone had pumped her full of air with a bicycle pump. Her skin is stretched and puffed out, and will actually ripple like a saggy balloon if the current hits it.

She's not as enthusiastic for eating as she used to be, but other than that she seems to be functioning mostly okay. If she's in pain I can't tell, although I figure this must be uncomfortable. The other five dwarf frogs in the tank are just fine.

I have a digital photo of her: see attached.

Is there anything I can do for her?

BTW, I've tried varying the frogs' food, to include some brine shrimp. No effect, except that the brine shrimp go all over the tank and it's difficult to clean up, and my frogs are really stupid and I don't think they clean it up.

smallfrogbloat.jpg

noelkara

Registered Member
Jun 14, 2005
Have you tried puting antibiotics in the tank? Ampicillan I think is the one for bloating disease. Because I guess some research shows that this is caused by an inability of the lymph to drain properly.
If that doesn't work or if you are worried I would take him to a vet. I am sure there is a vet that treats amphibians somewhere in your town. I hope he feels better!

noelkara

Registered Member
Jun 14, 2005
I just realized that you asked this question a few years ago. I hope it worked out ok

spencer2009

AC Members
Oct 16, 2004
Austin. Texas
that is crazzyy! I have never seen anything puffed up like that. Antibiotics could help and other than that not much to do. Sorry about your froggy.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
I realize this post is old, but the information may be handy to others in the future. I'm glad a picture was posted - it should help identify similar problems. That said, I've never experienced this first hand. It certainly is odd. Here are some links I came up with:

http://www.xenopus.com/disease.htm

http://fluffyfrog.com/FrogPondVetF.html#Bloat

There is a picture or two on there as well as the suggestion that it can be bacterial in nature (in which case antibiotics may be a first option) and that the ailment inhibits the body from properly draining fluid from the body, diet-related (not sure what you can do about that other than trying to vary the diet), or environment related (water changes). It looks bleak either way.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store