My Betta's eyes turned white Plz Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kmsocha

Registered Member
May 3, 2006
My dark blue female's eyes just turned white over the past two days, it looks like she's posessed. She is otherwise healthy, eating well, very alive. She actually has a great filtration system and I treat the water here and there with betta fix. Does anyone know why her eyes turned white and how I can fix it? I fear she may be blind. I've had her for two months now, and have had a lot of betta fish over the years but have never seen this. Please help, I feel horrible for her. Thanks!!!!

Joseph1391

~ * i LoVe BeTtaS * ~
Feb 28, 2006
South Pekin, Illinois
Hey Im sorry no one has responded back to you.. I am thinking she might be blind because my sister in law told me when they are blind their eyes get foggy looking.. Im sorry :(..

alireza

Ignorance is Evil's Masterkey!
Apr 7, 2006
College Park, MD, USA
Very sorry to hear that. I think the simplest way to find out for sure is to see if he reacts to the movement of your hand, etc.

Charleen

AC Members
Apr 12, 2006
My blue betta's eyes did that too. I thought the water was okay because I had just done a partial change, but it was a pretty new tank and when I tested the water the numbers were way up there. I took him out and put him in a bowl and gave him antibiotic for a week and his eyes went back to normal.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
That's called "cloudy eye" and it's brought about by bad water conditions. Please start doing water changes of 50% every day until the eyes clear up.

Buy a liquid test kit and test your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. You need to keep the water at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and ~10ppm nitrates.

You haven't said what your betta is housed in, but if the container is filterless and under 2 gallons, you should do 50% water changes every other day. Anything less than that will compromise your fish's health.

HTH
Roan

stephstar

Kootenay Girl
Aug 12, 2008
Canada
www.darkspeedslidepucks.com
I know this is a very old thread, but I just want to comment on this because my betta just went through the same cloudy eye. But the strange thing was all my levels were good (ammonia and nitrites). And all the other fish were fine (mollies and harlequins).
For the last 5 days I did a 50% water change everyday and his cloudy eyes have improved a ton.
Seems whenever I have an issue with the tank, it is all about the water changes! ;0

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store