sudden problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nickpet

Registered Member
May 5, 2006
hi guys, i am writing for first time in this forum, but you look great.
i have a problem with my tank. 3 days ago i replaced the uv lamp that i have been using for 3 years by new one. the same time i replaced 10% of the water, as i used to do everyday, i added vitamins for fish and nutrition for plants.
the next day in the afternoon i found 4 fish (catfish,labeo and 2 tetras) dead, my discus fishes black and hidden, and other fish not in the better condition they could be...
i switch off the uv-lamp, replaced 50% of the water immediatelly, opened the air pump much more, added bacteries to the water and left the tank without lighting.
today the discus fish are still black and hidden, the other fish are better especially the catfish.
but i can not undersdand what the hell the problem is? i have my tank for 6 years now and i 've lost only two fish all this period of time and i know the reasons.
now i can't do anything. should i replace more water?
i am thinking about the uv-lamp, it is th rena one 9w. could it produce so big fault in the biological enviroment of the tank? i have been used the uv-lamp for 3 years now, 6 hours per day, with no problem.
what is your opinion?
tank 250liters, temp27.5c, ph 7, gh130.
ammonia and nitrates i can not measure but i replace every day 10% of the water so it is a little bit difficult to exist any problem with it.
ren filstar2 2 pieces, rena 300w thermostat, rena air pump300, rena uv-lamp 9w.

LunchBox

Me fail english? that's unpossible!
Feb 7, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
maybe someone else will have better ideas, but could it be the fish didn't agree with the vitamins and whatnot you added? that's a real strange problem and I'm not sure what else could have caused it. Hopefully there are others who may have better ideas

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
any chance you have some stray voltage running throught the water after rplacing the UV bulb? Can you feel a tingle if you have one hand in the tank and the other grabbing something metal?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store