Sick Dwarf Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shaunakadub

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
Hey guys/gals,

Having a problem with my dwarf. He's staying in the corners not moving much. He still swims, but not much, only to move from 1 corner to the other and stay there. He very rarly eats. I usually put flakes in first, which everyone else chows down, he doesn't. Ocasionally when I put shrimp pellets in or algae tabs, he'll try to grab a few bites, but not much.

I've also noticed a few times that he'll just spaz out, swimming in a bolting action around the tank, only to return to a corner after. Looks wise, his head/gill area looks fin, but after that... he is very thin, and his tail is also very thin.

Its a 10 gallon tank that is cycled. All of my water numbers are in good shape. No chemicals have been added recently. All of the other fish are in perfect shape (even my otto which I heard can be very hard to acclimate)

So if anyone has any ideas/suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone.

EDIT: Little more information I forgot to add:

Note: Unfortunatly, I do not have a hospital tank =(
Temp - 78f
Water changes once a week, 1/2 tank gravel vac every time.

C.Cathcart

Registered Member
Apr 23, 2008
did you get any answers regarding this?

Hi shaunakadub,

My Dwarf Gourami is acting exactly like this. I know your post is quite old, but did you get any opinions?

Cheers

Fish Obsession

AC Members
Feb 2, 2007
Dwarf gouramis honestly just tend to have problems. This sort of thing happened with my first male and then recently, my female who was over a year old, suddenly died for no reason... I don't think they live very long. I had no water quality problems both times... not sure what's up with that, though I've had other people tell me that Dwarf Gouramis have problems (due to breeding?) and have recently been recommended not go w/ the dwarf breed.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Dwarf gouramis are usually pumped full of hormones which weakens their overall health and well being. Too many people have problems with them. It is a shame because they are very beautiful and personable little fish.

Marinemom

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Dwarf gouramis are usually pumped full of hormones which weakens their overall health and well being. Too many people have problems with them. It is a shame because they are very beautiful and personable little fish.

Marinemom
:iagree: They're no longer as hardy as they used to be.

C.Cathcart

Registered Member
Apr 23, 2008
OK, thanks all. I feel a little better. I checked my water levels for pH, Amonia, Nitrite and Nitrate and all are fine. My other fish - 8 neon Tetras, 3 Platys (2 female and 1 male), 2 Peppered Catfish are as happy as Larry! I thought I might have stressed the Gouramis when I had to move my tank, I had to remove all fish into a bucket.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store