Fish bring listless, laboured breathing and short 'irritated spasms'

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
For a few days my male molly had been a bit listless, hovering in one place for about five minutes, swimming off for a bit thne repeating it. I didn't think much of it, but today he has started having little jerky 1 second spasms, and his breathing is sometimes laboured quite a lot. Help please, as this is what killed my other fish very quickly, and i would like to know what is wrong with him and how to treat it!

I said on a different thread that if my fish rain into any health/disease problems then i would by some nitrasafe- but i don't know if this is caused by the high nitrate

He's a bit skittish to, but not much

petfairy

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
KCMO
You posted on someones thread that this happened a few weeks before the 5th.

You said, and I quote "mine did a few weeks ago, now it has stopped and he is fine"

Is the only thing that is different that he has laboured breathing, and spasms?

Also, you stated that this is what killed your other fish, was that the same fish that was "wiggling" before?

Have you checked all of you water levels, ph, nitrates, nitrites, hardness. You said that you are not sure if high nitrate is to blame, does that mean it is high, or you havent tested the water?

Do you have a heater. Molly like the temperature to be at or around 78 degrees. Some also suggest putting some aquarium salt in the water with them.

Is the tank over stocked? Have you reciently added new fish? And if so, when and what.

What size tank?

What else is in the tank?

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
irritated, short, sharp, jerky spasms, not wiggling, even though he did wiggle a few weeks ago. This si completely different from wiggling. Anyways, here is the infomation you need to know...

tank size- 20 gallons
fish- 3 and about 6 tiny fry

Anything else i have missed?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store