Betta BS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Abilor

Certified Pisceal HydroTechnician
Nov 19, 2005
Troy, NY
Set a betta newbie straight... I've read throughout these forums that Bettas are happier in a 10G tank, with a suitable heater, and adequate filtration. I didn't really give it another thought until I went into the local Petsmart, when I suddenly became aware of just how much cruelty goes on in that place since I started really digging into these forums and paying attention to my tank.

While I was there, a woman came in with her daughter, and explained to the girl working that she was surprised her betta in a 2.5G had died, since she had "used spring water and a filter." No heater, small tank. The girl explained that the fish was probably stressed, needed more chemicals added to its water, etc, and that the water should only be changed once a month, at most. No mention of heaters at all. None of this made ANY sense to me, so I couldn't resist chiming in. "Do you know your ammonia levels?", I asked, and she said no. I explained ammonia test kits. I also mentioned that from what I have read, bettas will prefer a 10G, which is not overkill, contrary to popular belief. At that point, the emplyee chimed in, "I really wouldn't recommend a 10G tank", she said, giving me a dirty look, "since bettas swim slowly with their fins, and they need to reach the surface to breathe." This is the same girl who mauled my neon tetras on the counter when they jumped out of her net (they later died), and didn't know the difference between java fern and java moss.

I gave up quickly, not wanting to cause a scene, but I was fuming in my car. This seemed like ego-based cruelty to me, but then today while I was examining some betta products in the mall, a tag mentioned that bettas can breathe gas close to the water surface.

Set me straight: was I right to be totally pissed off with the Petsmart employee?

Either way, as an educated fishkeeper, does the futility of mass-market fish care get you down/make you mad?

Am I taking this too seriously?

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
Bettas can breathe at the surface. If the tank is adequately oxygenated then they shouldn't need to because they can use their gills like other fish. I believe that betta fry must have access to the surface when forming their labyrinth organ but that's not what we are talking about here...
At any rate, my betta swims all over my 55g with no problem. He's not too terribly fast, but his muscles are not atrophied like those of a betta housed in a tiny cup.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I would say that you are right and the employee is wrong. The only thing that she apparently said that was right was that the betta can breath at the waters surface. The betta is in the gourmai family and the way I understand this is that this species of fish has what we would call a lung which enables them breathe at the waters surface. That being said, it only makes sense that we would want to give the best conditions for our finned friends. The betta may not NEED a 10 gallon setup, but why not? He will have more room to move around and swim. He will show his colors better, be much happier, and of course healthier. Oh, and by the way, I have floating plants in the tank with my betta and he loves them and that is where he chooses to sleep.

Be happy!

Marinemom

flyfly

follow me on twitter @flyfly_mackay
Jan 21, 2005
Portland, OR
www.myspace.com
for the most part you are correct. More room is always good for a fish. As far as the betta goes, it is a labrynth fish therefore it needs some open surface to draw gas from. I have mine in a 55g community and I seem him do it frequently. As for bettas being so slow they cant hit the surface in time in larger tanks, well, thats insane. Bettas arent even as slow as you think. I saw mine get into a fight with my female gold ram and it swam in for a strike so fast I barely saw it. :devil:

flyfly

follow me on twitter @flyfly_mackay
Jan 21, 2005
Portland, OR
www.myspace.com
Abilor said:
Either way, as an educated fishkeeper, does the futility of mass-market fish care get you down/make you mad?

Am I taking this too seriously?
Theres not much you can do about it. I have found the easiest and most fullfilling way of dealing with this is to find a knowledgable store and go there a lot. I still go to big chains... I just dont get involved with them :D

PurePerfection

Go Wolverines!
May 5, 2006
Ann Arbor Michigan
I'm not an advact for giving betta's 10 gallon tanks. I've kept betta's all my life and I feel at least one gallon is needed. However I did keep betta's in in bigger tanks they never used them. When I kept my crowntail in my 5.5 gallon he would consently flare at his reflection which is bad for the fish. He's not in a 1/2 gallon bowfront and I hange the water daily. He seams happy, he blows a bubble nest every day. All in all it's about water qaulity. Betta's come from shallow, tight, oxegen starved waters, so it's not like they come from a great invoroment. In the end keeping temp as stable as you can and giving good clean water is more important that 1 gallon or 50 gallon for it to swim. Again though I only go by my experince. I've had a dozen betta's in everything from a pickle jar to a 20gallon tank and noticed no difference in how long they lived or there activity. Again this is just what I've experinced.

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
I have also had several betta's. Some kept in 1 gallon tanks, some in 10g tanks and 1 in a 55g tank and I can tell you from personal experience that the ones in the larger tanks are happier and heatlhier and live longer lives. When the bettas are in the 1g tanks, they just sit around doing nothing, give them the room to swim and they will. But you have to give them time to adjust to the size of a larger tank. My betta in my 55g is probably the happiest most active betta I have ever had and he has NO PROBLEM getting to the top of the tank for air. I am against keeping bettas in very small bowls because it does cause their muscles to lose tone and therefore makes it harder for them to swim if ever given the chance. Bettas naturally come from SE Asia and live in rice paddies. The paddies do mostly dry up just before the monsoon season, however, the bettas are only meant to live in small quarters for a very short period of time. Here is a link to a site that has pics of the rice paddies. Tell me if that looks like 1/2g of water to you
http://www.bettadreams.com/ricepaddies.html
Just because the CAN survive in it doesnt mean they should have to. Camels are made to withstand sand storms, but should they have to spend their entire life in one? No, I dont think so. So before you go saying that bettas live in tiny little puddles in their natural habitat, maybe you should do more research. I dont know about you, but I want my bettas to have the best live possible, not just to survive for 2 years. Oh and BTW, a betta cannot flare itself to death. My betta in my 55g likes to flare at his reflection, and he usually does it every day, but he gets bored and gives it up. Its not like they are going to starve bc they are too busy flaring at themselves. Sorry to rant, but I am SO SICK of people mistreating their bettas. Pure, its great that you do regular water changes, and that does help with keeping them happy, but 1/2 of water is much too small. No fish should have to live in that and they shouldnt even make tanks, bowls whatever, that small IMO.

PurePerfection

Go Wolverines!
May 5, 2006
Ann Arbor Michigan
jodimartin2003 said:
I have also had several betta's. Some kept in 1 gallon tanks, some in 10g tanks and 1 in a 55g tank and I can tell you from personal experience that the ones in the larger tanks are happier and heatlhier and live longer lives. When the bettas are in the 1g tanks, they just sit around doing nothing, give them the room to swim and they will. But you have to give them time to adjust to the size of a larger tank. My betta in my 55g is probably the happiest most active betta I have ever had and he has NO PROBLEM getting to the top of the tank for air. I am against keeping bettas in very small bowls because it does cause their muscles to lose tone and therefore makes it harder for them to swim if ever given the chance. Bettas naturally come from SE Asia and live in rice paddies. The paddies do mostly dry up just before the monsoon season, however, the bettas are only meant to live in small quarters for a very short period of time. Here is a link to a site that has pics of the rice paddies. Tell me if that looks like 1/2g of water to you
http://www.bettadreams.com/ricepaddies.html
Just because the CAN survive in it doesnt mean they should have to. Camels are made to withstand sand storms, but should they have to spend their entire life in one? No, I dont think so. So before you go saying that bettas live in tiny little puddles in their natural habitat, maybe you should do more research. I dont know about you, but I want my bettas to have the best live possible, not just to survive for 2 years. Oh and BTW, a betta cannot flare itself to death. My betta in my 55g likes to flare at his reflection, and he usually does it every day, but he gets bored and gives it up. Its not like they are going to starve bc they are too busy flaring at themselves. Sorry to rant, but I am SO SICK of people mistreating their bettas. Pure, its great that you do regular water changes, and that does help with keeping them happy, but 1/2 of water is much too small. No fish should have to live in that and they shouldnt even make tanks, bowls whatever, that small IMO.
Misstreating? Get over yourself. I had one live in a fish bowl for 6 years. How long have your lived? Yeah get off my back beacuse your not going to change my opinions or experince. You want to talk about misstreating, your 55 gallon is so overstocked it's not even funny. 55 is okay for a pair of angles, sharks should be one to a tank and that's just two problems. Oh and BTW betta's flaring IS bad for them, it stresses them out. Hate to tell you. Next time you want to rant on me, don't!

Last edited:

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
PurePerfection said:
Misstreating? Get over yourself. I had one live in a fish bowl for 6 years. How long have your lived? Yeah get off my back beacuse your not going to change my opinions or experince. You want to talk about misstreating, your 55 gallon is so overstocked it's not even funny. 55 is okay for a pair of angles, sharks should be one to a tank and that's just two problems
I'm not trying to change your mind, just letting others know that you are incorrect. As far as my tank goes, I am well aware that I should only have one pair of angels, I am waiting for them to pair up. As far as the sharks go, I am aware of that as well, they are juvies and one is going to a new home in a couple of weeks. Obviously you are fishing for a reason to lash back b/c I have proven you wrong. But thats okay...no skin off my back.

mduros

AC Members
Sep 20, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
www.maryduros.com
IMO any mass marketing of a living sentient being is wrong. I take it VERY seriously. However, not alot of people feel the same or agree. I have a dear friend who takes better care of her guinea pigs than alot of people do of their cats or dogs. But she has these hanging bowls in her house with scented candles beneath them, and one bowl she keeps a betta in, the other she keeps two neon tetras in. These are living, feeling creatures, not decorations. They have social and environmental needs, and this is a cruel practice, but lots of people do it out of ignorance. Her former bettas died after a few months and this is her second try at it. And I'm sure that the people at PetSmart told her that it's just fine and that these fish don't need alot of room, heck they sell their bettas in cups. It's all very sad.

My two bettas don't have 10 gallon tanks, but they have 5 gallon, filtered, heated, planted tanks and seem happy and healthy. They used to be in my community tanks but I had compatibility issues with other fish and they got their fins all nipped off, so I had to move them out.

I'm proud of you for speaking up. I don't do it anymore, but when I did I felt like I was talking to brick walls.
Take care,
Mary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store