My fish died--is his partner in danger?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

random_zooey

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
NOTE: I ALSO POSTED THIS IN THE GENERAL FRESHWATER FORUM. I'M SORRY, I'M NOT TRYING TO FLOOD THE BOARDS, I JUST DIDN'T WANT TO MISS THE CHANCE FOR A RESPONSE. PLEASE, FORGIVE MY POOR NETIQUETTE...THIS IS A LIFE OR DEATH SITUATION!

I had two goldfish--one common, one fancy (a Black Moor). Their living conditions weren't the best (10g. tank, only the two of them), but I was doing the best I could with what I had (proper diet, regular water changes, etc.). Up until now, neither had previously demonstrated any sickness, stress, aggressive behaviour, low appetite, lethargy, or anything like that.

Last night I noticed that my Black Moor had a problem that kind of sounds like Ick or some kind of fungus: some tiny white dots on the edge of his fins and a larger white patch on one of his gills, and he was also a little lethargic. I planned on searching the internet for his illness and the appropriate medication today, but it's too late: he's dead. When I found him, his black colour had faded somewhat to reveal his gold undertones, and the white spots had spread to become, I guess, kind of like a white film lining the bottom of all of his fins. (Maybe I should also mention that a few months ago I found some white fuzziness on the outside part of the filter as well as on the inside of the lid, which I cleaned off and which hasn't returned.)

Is my remaining goldfish in danger? If so, what should I do? Other than his home, I only have a 1g. travel tank.

Chickieepooh2u

Ooo, Ooo! Pick me pick me!!
Jan 12, 2006
Norfolk, NE
www.myspace.com
Well. It kind of sounds like a fungus,and if it is,then you need to treat it or you will (probably) lose the other one too. You can buy fungicide at most retailers who sell fish. I had a problem kind of like what you described and I treated it with salt. I used 1 tsp non-odized salt per gallon. I used table salt but if you want to be politically correct go with aquarium salt, but it will cost more.

Oh and if you go the salt method, do a 25% water change and add the salt to the new water. Please don't dump it directly into the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store