Help Identifying Catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

djinn

AC Members
Mar 16, 2006
I bought a catfish on Saturday sold to me as either a:
Tiger Shovelnose Catfish 12.99 or
Dwarf Giraffe Catfish 5.99

The worker in the store wasn't sure which he was, so he gave us the cheaper price. He's about four inches right now, and was the only thing in the tank with a larger (6") Sorubim Lima Shovelnose catfish, which was floating vertically beside the filter, while this one was hidden under a rock.

I checked planet catfish, and he doesn't look at all like the Giraffe Catfish.
The Tiger shovelnoses all have vertical stripes.
A young Lima Shovelnose looked the closest, but they all seem to have clear fins, where this one has black pectoral fins, and spots throughout his dorsal and caudal fins.
There was also something called a Spotted Shovelnose Catfish that got my hopes up, but also looked nothing like him.

Is this one of the fish it was sold to me as, and their markings just change with age?
He spends most of his time slowing swimming about the tank at all ranges, usually resting in a plant.
Any help in identifying this catfish would be appreciated.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I just did the same thing at PC- that fish sure looks the one shown as a juvenile tirger shovelnose. If it is, the fish gets well over 3 ft long.

djinn

AC Members
Mar 16, 2006
I actually posted this in the PlanetCatfish forums, and did find the picture of the Juvenile Tiger Shovelnose which looks just like the one that I have.

I was leaning towards it being a Tiger (and was aware of their size), I just wanted to make sure.

Thank you for your help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store