neon and panda behavioural question and a stocking question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

new2tanks

AC Members
Feb 18, 2006
t.o
hi all,

I added fish to my newly cyled tank on tuesday and have a few questions.

1)
my neons never seem to eat from the surface.they will generally feed on any shrimp pellets and flakes that are sent down by me.is this weird?

2)once in a while one of my panda corys will stop surfing the bottom and shoot to the top of the tank, touch teh surface and scoot back down.Is he okay? does he need more air and should i get a bubbler or an aerator or smthg in the tank?

i also have3 anubias and a bunhc of green cabomba in the tank as well. as well as an AC30 running.is it possible to get some more shrimp or fish???(There are currently 8 neons and 4 pandas in the 10g)

Water values: Ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 10ppm.

Thanks a lot. :thm:

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
I was looking into getting neons, and from what I read, they are not surface feeders - the feeding behavior of your fish sounds normal for that species.

Most corys will show the behavior you describe. I even have one that comes up to the surface at feeding time and floats upside down at the surface to grab flakes and then shoots back down. It's just one of those things they do.

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
My spotted cory does that; the other night was doing the race around the tank and trips to the surface when he jumped clean out of the water and rattled the lid and light fixture!

He was quiet for about a minute (knocked hiumself silly/ seeing stars?) when he started the whole trip again.

silly fish!

twig

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
yup ...
That's normal behavior for a cory.
They're just taking big puffs of air =)

As for the neons ...?
My cardinals did the same thing. I think, naturally, they are just middle-feeders or something. It wasn't until I introduced a few guppies that they started going to the surface for food.

The guppies have taught them lots of things =) Like how to eat algae off plants (im not kidding) and how to hide in my corkscrew vals...

Genral72

Giver of worthless imformation.
Oct 15, 2005
Pittsburgh
twig said:
yup ...
That's normal behavior for a cory.
They're just taking big puffs of air =)

As for the neons ...?
My cardinals did the same thing. I think, naturally, they are just middle-feeders or something. It wasn't until I introduced a few guppies that they started going to the surface for food.

The guppies have taught them lots of things =) Like how to eat algae off plants (im not kidding) and how to hide in my corkscrew vals...
Yeah this is true many fish don't have to compete but when they finally have to they change their habits.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store