20 Gallon Tank with 2 Angels need advise...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nytro

Registered Member
May 18, 2006
Hello everyone,
Ive got a 20 gallon tall tank with 6 "candy" tetras, 1 cherry barb, 1 pleco and 2 Gold Angelfish.

The lone female cherry barb has adapted to the environment. There were 6 all together but they all died one at a time. I might add one more again.

Since the angelfish have reached mature size, Im worried that the 20 gallons will not be enough space. They seem somewhat peacfull though but they sometimes just float around and stare into the glass. BTW..they have also attempted on spawning eggs twice but both attempts have failed.

Also I have two background plastic plants and one front plastic, I was thinking of swapping one plastic with a live plant..is this good?

Another problem, I have to constantly swap plecos with my fish store every three months due to the 1/2 pleco reaching almost 4 inches everytime!

Let me know what you think, Gerard

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Even if you had a pleco that max'd out at 4", I wouldn't keep it in a 20 gal.

What is this mature size you are referring to on the angels? They may just be floating because there isn't any room to swim. Our mature angels, 8", top-bottom are in 90 gal tanks.

mtiller

wolf-pac
Jun 29, 2005
Georgia, United States
if i were you i wouldn't get anymore plecos, and get some pigmy cories or something, maybe an otocinculus, they do about the same thing. plecos (common and other types) may get too large for a 20g, and the angels will need a large area to swim in as they not only increase in mass but height as well. the cherry barbs could've died off because the bioload was too great, or the tank had not been cycled enough to stock that many fish. i'd suggest returning some fish that you dont' necessarily need so that the angels may have a nicer environment and may actually be able to breed with success

coolwade

Experienced Novice
Sep 24, 2003
Brisbane
www.users.tpg.com.au
Hello,

I have done the "Angel thing" before and IME a 20 gallon is enough fo just the two Angels at spawning time, once spawned, take one out (Buggered if I can remember which one :eek: I think you take the female out)

Then once the fry have hatched you can take the Male out as the fry often fall to the bottom and the Male picks them up like a good Dad but "one for leaf one for me" if you know what I mean.

From the BBS is the best food for them.

The Tetras and Barb could have a great deal to do with the loss of the eggs as my Rummy Nose Tetras would feast on the eggs once the eggs were laid.

I found my Male would be "Depressed" if he failed to protect the eggs.

Nytro

Registered Member
May 18, 2006
That could be but many of the eggs have just died natually. The Angels are about 5-6 inches from top to bottom and I get rid of the pleco when he gets 4 inches, i swap him with a 1/2 inch for free. The plecos are troopers, Ive tried small catfish but they always died, and the water conditions have been very good. Ive had the tank running for 7 months now with not many fish deaths. I lost 2 blue dwarf gouramis when the angesl got larger, due to territory. The tetras were semi agressive as well so the angels and tetras have not bothered each other. THey only preyed on the weak :sad:

You roccomend I get rid of the angels then? BTW Its only 5 color tetras 1 cherry barb and 1 pleco with the two gold angel fish.

Gerard

coolwade

Experienced Novice
Sep 24, 2003
Brisbane
www.users.tpg.com.au
Just if you want to successfully breed the Angels.

I would get rid of the Barb barb and the Pleco, just my opinion though.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Two angels at 5-6" need more than a twenty, whether you are intentionally breeding or not. They need the room to swim freely without being stunted and stressed. They need to be in a 55 with a few other fish or they need to be given away.

coolwade

Experienced Novice
Sep 24, 2003
Brisbane
www.users.tpg.com.au
Yeah, as I said in my post, I think you need a larger tank but you can breed in a 20 Gallon and once spawned begin taking the Angels out one by one and leave the 20 gallon as a rearing tank.

I had two in a 56 gallon last year and had no dramas.

Nytro

Registered Member
May 18, 2006
I brought the angels in today for 3 sunbust mickey mouse platies and 3 balloon mollies.

so thats now

3 platy
3 molly
5 candy tetra
1 cherry barb
1 pleco (soon to be replaced for small)

Any ideas on the last 4?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store