do you think this really works?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hmt321

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
the following is something i copied off a web sight:

start quote"

The Natural Solution to Algae Control

Now you can promote a healthier ecosystem for your aquarium or pond by using authentic Scottish Barley Straw, a technique which has been employed since the Middle Ages to naturally promote an ALGAE FREE environment. 100% safe for ALL wildlife, including the most delicate shrimp, fish, and plants because it is 100% natural and biodegradable.
In the aquarium, install a small portion (about a handful) of barley in your canister or hanging filter, or sump. We recommend using a micron filter bag (see below). Our small 4oz size should last a normal home aquarists, a long time.

In your pond, install it in your waterfall spillway, skimmer basket, or just throw it in anywhere! Most smaller ponds will require the 4 or 8 ounce size barley straw. (4 & 8 oz barley come already packaged in a mesh bag, the 30lb bale comes with 3 mesh bags)

Here are some other important features:

These are made from High Grade Scottish Barley (the same kind high quality Scotch is made from)(NO. Not the kind of straw you might find in a cattle-feed store!)

They are fully biodegradable.

They can provide natural food for your fish.

Each bundle comes with it's own sturdy mesh bag. 30# bales will come with three (24x36) mesh bags.

This method can be started any time of year, new or old.

No chemicals used ever in the processing of this barley!

"end quote

I got this off of a very reputable online aquarium plant store.

I'm not saying that this does not work but could someone explain how it works?

hmt321

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
ill be setting up a 125 gal tank in the next few months it will be cold water (70-74 f) i will put the recommended dose in my sump and see if i have a bloom or any algae at all.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
That's not going to tell you if the stuff worked or not.
All that will do is add it and if you do not get a bloom, you will attribute it to the straw......but...........that's dead wrong logic.

The better way to prevent algae, is to well, grow the plants and add plenty of plants from the first day during the set up.

That's the issue, not a lack of straw in your tank, now that is logical and has a much higher success rate.

Barley straw nor the extract has ever shown to do anything to welll growing algae in any tank we tried it out on. We did this back, 8-10 years ago now I guess.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
direct sunlight hitting your tank has nothing to do with it.

algae is caused by an imbalance in nutrients. period.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
born2lovefish said:
Do regular water changes and you should not have to worry about algae. It usually grows when you have direct sunlight hitting your tank and where there is an adundance of nutrients.
I have both(CO2, high light+ some sun, goodf NO3/K/PO4/Fe etc, clearly well in excess of the plants and algae's needs yet I have no algae.

Try again.

Water changes are a good idea since you can dose after and maintain and nice stable level of nutrients easily with test kits.

Algae are induced by a number of things, mostly neglect and lack of nutrients (CO2 and NO3 mostly), not an excess.
NH4 is the only "excess" nutrient that seems to produce algae and CO2 to a certain degree.

Regards,
Tom Barr

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
But rather than starting a what causes algae thread, read the link and see what you think, I think that is as fair to Barley starw as it can get, I'm much more skeptical havign actually tried it and knowing a few other folks in our club that tried several times to no avail.

Save your $, learn to grow plants.

Regards,
Tom Barr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store